Slk 55 r172 exhaust butterflys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray d

Car
slk 55 amg
HI all,
Have been trying to get my MB dealers to come up with a plan to have a switch in the car to keep the exhaust butterfly's open but have not had much response back from them except "we are looking into it". I noticed that the valves are open before you start the car so disconnected both valves and car did sound deeper (except when it went onto "4 cylinder mode"). Anyway all was fine but when planting the car it seems to be in "limp mode":fail for what ever reason. Reconnected cables again and all is back to normal.Does anyone have this done .Test drove the Jag V8 and they have the "loud button" which has got me itching to get it done so PLEASE let me know if it can be done.:thumb:
Thanks
Ray

I dont think so as it just sounds the same (tame) but will double check

Checked the sport button and no difference and by the look of the views and lack of replies it is not looking good to being able to do it

I thought Sport mode is sorting it and they are open all the time then.

No, they open more and more as you plant your foot to the floor.

I have seen people do this on slkworld, whether it goes into limp mode seems hit or miss.

I would just get an xpipe installed in place of the silencer and secondary cats and it will make you very happy and solve your current 'problem' :)

Check out SLKWorld.com for more info on this.
Some have done it but the results are mixed. Lots of drone and unpleasantness at low speeds. If you want it louder at full throttle then X pipe is the way to go.
I doubt if you'll get much help from a MB dealer though...
Russ

Start with getting the resonator removed.

This doesn't make it any more rumbly at idle other than a slight chatter from the exhaust. However when you accelerate, even slightly, then you get the V8 rumble. I can tell you this is most satisfying.

If you want more then you have to start thinking about removing cats.

Hi all thanks for that and it will be the way I go but I cant touch it for another 2 1/2 years when the warantee runs out as I dont think MB would be very pleased or stand over stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom