Slk 55 r172 oil change help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray d

Car
slk 55 amg
Hi all, not sure whether this should have been in "engine" thread but thought answers would be easier here. Anyway my 55 R172 is now 6 months old with 5k on it now and I asked MB to do the first service now as being from the "old school" I would have liked the oil and filter changed. They say they cant do it because the "car" is not asking to be done and it would upset the service plan I have on the car. So after very long discussions the said they would change the oil and filter for £160 as I was a long standing customer (would hate to know the price if they did not know me) but anyway I declined their kind offer. Before I buy the oil has anyone changed their own and the only question I would like answered is it a straight forward oil sump bung to get the oil out or have MB made it difficult for the diy'er to do.
Thanks
Ray

Seems like an unnecessary change, the car will tell you when it is needed based on distance and style of driving.

Oil change would be no different to any other car. If you like to change at your own intervals, I see no reason to even involve the main dealer. Fresh oil & filter won't harm the engine.

You may want to use a suction type oil extractor. A long clear pipe goes in the dipstick tube and sucks the oil from the bottom of the sump. In this case you won't need to touch the bung.

I hear what you are saying but I am from the "old school" were engines were run in with mineral oil. I know that is long gone now but a wee change for the first time I think would be better for the engine. I have been trying to google changing it but dont seem to be able to find out if it simply is a bung on the bottom of the engine like I am used to doing. If anyone has changed it and can tell me if it is would be helpful. Sort of can see why MB are looking so much to do it as it needs about 8 ltrs of oil.

Instead of "googling", you should get under the car. You know, the old school way.

Get a Pela extractor pump, no more hassle with removing under trays and not enough height for the drain pan.

I doubt drain plugs have changed, though...

£160 will buy you the Pela plus the next four oil and filter changes

Last edited:
Does the 55 in the SLK have the saddle sump found in other 55 engine models? If so, suction will only extract approx 3/4 of the oil.

Yes I think I will go with my gut and give it a change myself. It will be the only one I will do in between services but I do think the oil is starting to look dirty which I would guess is the engine "cleaning it's self" with all those new parts bedding in to each other

Does the 55 in the SLK have the saddle sump found in other 55 engine models? If so, suction will only extract approx 3/4 of the oil.
If it has this type, you will have two drain plugs, not one. Somebody on here will be along soon, no doubt, to confirm or deny this.

I think SLK World forum will give you much more answers to everything related to this model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom