SLK 55 Tyre issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njkmr

Guys,
about 3 months ago I bought 2 new front tyres ,Conti Sport 5,s and had them fitted at home by the Kwik fit mobile van. Bought from Kwik Fit as well
All seemed well.
Yesterday I took my wheel to a local tyre fitter as I thought I had lost a balance weight off the wheel so thought I would get it re-balanced to be on the safe side. The car didn't feel bad to drive.
The tyre fitter said it was probably just the sticky pad left on by the Kwik fit fitter when he replaced my tyres before.
He did say he would re-balance it anyway to be on the safe side.
On doing this he removed the old remaining weights and balanced the wheel .
He then said the tyre looks egg shaped and he showed me it spinning whereby I could see it bobbing up and down at one point on the tyre. The rim looked straight and he confirmed it does not look like the rim is bent at all.
I went home and phoned Kwik fit who said they wouldn't replace the tyre but I could buy a new one and have the old ,damaged one sent off to Continental who would inspect it and refund the cash if ,I say if, they deem it faulty.
Now strangely I wasn't happy with this as the tyre is only 3-4 months old and has covered 1000 miles or so.
I said I wanted it inspected by the tyre fitter first to see if there was anything obviously wrong and then we will decide what the course of action is. They agreed to send the van round on Friday to check the tyre and try and reseat it to see if that works.
Do I have any rights for Kwik fit to replace it at their expense as I purchased the tyre of them and not Continental.
Your thought guys ?
Regards
Rob.

Do I have any rights for Kwik fit to replace it at their expense as I purchased the tyre of them and not Continental.
Your thought guys ?
Regards
Rob.

Your contract is with Kwik-Fit so its up to them to replace the tyre, not Continental.

Sounds like the tyre isn't fit for purpose.

Thanks AMGeed,
That's my opinion but when I phoned them they said I would have to buy a new one and they will send the "faulty "one away for Continental to inspect.
I may or may not get my money refunded. Which is not acceptable.
I will let the tyre guy look at it on Friday and take it from there I think.
I am not accepting blame for the tyre when I know I take real good care of my cars and avoid pot holes etc and I would know if I had been through one ,plus the rim is not bent.
Regards
Rob.

I have heard of this before with a Continental tyre being returned for inspection and refund refused by Continental.

Did you read section 13 below?
Terms and Conditions

This clarifies things a little better.
http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/up...-guide-to-tyre-warranty-complaint-process.pdf

Yep I did read that bit AMGeed,
thats the bit I don't like. Take my tyre never to be seen again and then told to "Do One" no refund..!

Guys,
thought I would update the thread.
I never bothered with Kwik Flit again after this issue, but I never changed the tyres either. Whilst on another car Forum I noticed someone else mentioned this type of issue and it was suggested that if the car was stood for any period of time (which mine does) then it could cause flat spots in the tyre which will resolve itself once the tyres get heated up when in use and find their natural round position again. Mine drives fine to be honest with no shaking of the steering wheel so I suspect this was the issue I had. The car had been stood for a while when the fitter came to check it and the egg shape was present. I would have thought a national tyre chain may have suggested this in the first place as they should really be aware of this potential issue with a car that's doesn't move for weeks at a time with a big engine over the front wheels but alas no..
Anyway I shall avoid these cretins in future and purchase elsewhere I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom