SLK 55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive had mine for about 3 years now and I just love it. (172 SLK55).
It is a bit pampered and doesn't see much wet weather but when it comes out for a blast it sounds fantastic under full chat...!
I have no intention of selling it as I think its a beautiful car and the engine is both frugal if you want or a hooligan if you want.

I've just bought my second R172 SLK55 to replace a 981 Porsche Boxster, which was a good car but the whole ownership experience was pretty crap.....from other Porsche owners, to the local dealerships and I didn't think that the quality of the car was all that good, particularly the super soft paint.

Any how, after about 10 miles back in the 55 I was loving it, it's a far better car roof down than the Porsche and somehow I felt the steering was better (I was amazed but perhaps something to do with electric vs hydraulic steering).

It's Designo Diamond white with bengal red leather, which was the same as my first, but it doesn't have a pano roof and it has black wheels instead of silver.

I absolutely love the V8, the brakes and pretty much everything else....it's going to be a keeper.

RR

I've just bought my second R172 SLK55 to replace a 981 Porsche Boxster, which was a good car but the whole ownership experience was pretty crap.....from other Porsche owners, to the local dealerships and I didn't think that the quality of the car was all that good, particularly the super soft paint.

Any how, after about 10 miles back in the 55 I was loving it, it's a far better car roof down than the Porsche and somehow I felt the steering was better (I was amazed but perhaps something to do with electric vs hydraulic steering).

It's Designo Diamond white with bengal red leather, which was the same as my first, but it doesn't have a pano roof and it has black wheels instead of silver.

I absolutely love the V8, the brakes and pretty much everything else....it's going to be a keeper.

RR
You’ve just described my car :thumb:

I often wonder where my first car went, it sold in two days at Teesside Mercedes-Benz in September 2016. It's registration was NV12 NAO.

Any one on here?

RR

DSC_0481 (850 x 478).jpg
I have owned mine for coming up to 3 years and no problems so far. The car has just over 39,000 miles on the clock of which 11,000 miles have been done by myself. At the this time of the year it spends most of the time cosseted in its dehumidified garage. When it does go out the sound of the engine on full chat is intoxicating so cannot wait for some better weather.

I have had my R172 55 for just over 2 1/2 years. Obsidian Black with Bengal Red interior. We love the car to bits! I had to travel right down to the southwest to buy it as there wasn’t a single one within 100 miles of home. I didn’t realise how uncommon the car is, I don’t think I’ve seen another one on the road whilst driving it! I’ve since checked online how any were made and the only figure I’ve found is 3500, I don’t know how accurate this is, but the car is a keeper regardless!

I have had my R172 55 for just over 2 1/2 years. Obsidian Black with Bengal Red interior. We love the car to bits! I had to travel right down to the southwest to buy it as there wasn’t a single one within 100 miles of home. I didn’t realise how uncommon the car is, I don’t think I’ve seen another one on the road whilst driving it! I’ve since checked online how any were made and the only figure I’ve found is 3500, I don’t know how accurate this is, but the car is a keeper regardless!
Suggest in addition to this forum, you check out the SLKworld forum.

Oh I do so miss mine. Took a 150 mile return trip in my Mini Cooper Auto yesterday and while it did the job admirably it just reminded me of what I had 😢

A great car imho,,,
Would have gone for one but our 2 yr old Labrador goes almost everywhere with me,,clk droptop much better suited,,,
The SLK55 sounds fantastic also,, jasonp

I used to have an R171 55 AMG. Fabulous little car! The best thing I ever did was to remove the stock suspension and replace it with a KW Variant 3 kit. The stock suspension, sorry to say, isn't very good. It is over sprung and under damped. Whilst fine on a billiard table smooth surface, launch it with any vigour down an undulating B road and you will be bouncing into the middle of next week. The KW set brings the car close to perfection. The damping control is in a different Galaxy to the Mercedes original stuff. I added adjustable caster and camber bolts and tuned the alignment to my personal preference and then used the car for a few trackdays...

h

If the gearbox would down change exactly on demand it would be perfect. I still miss this car. A close friend of mine persuaded me to part with it. I have told her I'd like first refusal if she is ever considering selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom