slk 55amg gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigie

Car
slk55amg
Hi i have recentley bought a 55amg when warm the box is fine but when cold and going down the box when it gets to second and first it goes in with a jerk and first is mors so. Its just had a major service at mercedes and they have changed the gearbox oil also. Any ideas.

Just for the record - most 7g boxes do this... but no doubt others will argue. Call it a trait / quirk etc

There are many threads on this. Don't ask ***. :)

gear box

Thanks for that ive had a few cars with auto boxes and none have done this it gets you a bit worried jus t swapped it and had a 32 amg before and that was fine

Has,nt the SLK55AMG got a 722.6 5 speed box?

but it would be slower / less fuel efficient and not as fun to drive on the paddles..

But even with 7g the paddles are not exactly f1. Drive an M3 and use the padde shift. The speed of change is unreal compared with a merc.
Dont get me wrong I would have a merc over a BMW in almost every other area, but the flappy paddles are far too slow

Last edited:
But even with 7g the paddles are not exactly f1. Drive an M3 and use the padde shift. The speed of change is unreal compared with a merc.
Dont get me wrong I would have a merc over a BMW in almost every other area, but the flappy paddles are far too slow

I completely disagree. I would take the BMW every time. Fundamentally better.

The M3 box is not a torque convertor auto. The box in the 335i is more representative.

The only time I've noticed this is when a) the gearbox is cold and b) I've been "pressing on" ;) and the adaptive shift has got more aggressive. Most of the time it doesn't do it as I generally drive quite calmly and also run in the car in C, which locks out first gear unless you stamp on the loud pedal from a standstill. The car's got great gobfulls of torque so it doesn't need first anyway as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

Gaz

I completely disagree. I would take the BMW every time. Fundamentally better.

The M3 box is not a torque convertor auto. The box in the 335i is more representative.

I know that the box in the m3 is not a standard auto!!! The 335i is not an m sport or an AMG is it?
The drive of a BMW is just awful in comparison to a merc, although I do like the old 5 series. I had a go in a 2011 m3 back in June and it made me laugh to be honest. It seemed to scream a lot but just felt nowhere near as quick as a 6.3 AMG.
You are obviously a big BMW fan?

I know that the box in the m3 is not a standard auto!!! The 335i is not an m sport or an AMG is it?
The drive of a BMW is just awful in comparison to a merc, although I do like the old 5 series. I had a go in a 2011 m3 back in June and it made me laugh to be honest. It seemed to scream a lot but just felt nowhere near as quick as a 6.3 AMG.
You are obviously a big BMW fan?

No more so than Mercedes, have had equal amounts of each..... but the F30 / 8ag is so far ahead of 204/7g

As for the c63 vs m3 The M is the better car and it is faster. The c63 doesnt put its power down well.

E63 vs M5 would be the CLS :)

SLK55 vs Z4M would be SLK. :)

Well maybe I drove a clapped out one. I drive 63's regularly when they are in for service and there is no way that m3 was quicker
Each to there own!

At least we agreed the dct box is better :thumb:

Last edited:
Craig how old and how many miles on your car?

Mines 2008 with 46k just been in merc for the same problem, they have updated the software but that made no difference, next is to change the valve block in the gearbox which I believe is a £1600 job, mines under warranty so I'm not to worried

just had a spin out this morning the box is very good when warm and its put my mind at rest since it common. Anyway roads are flooded in parts alover the dales so could onley potter and the car has done an amazing 26.7 to the gallon far better than the 32 amg

55amg box

Its on a 55plate and has 33000 on it apart from this its bob on .Its just bloody anoying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom