slk-boot condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barryh

Car
slk350 with airscarf plus E280CDI Sport Est
Is it normal for condensation to gather on the inside of the bootlid of an slk?

No!! But I am experiencing it at the moment due to the boot lid having been adjusted and water getting in thus creating condensation. Mine's gong in tomorrow to get this matter sorted as my boot is so wet at the mo that I can't use it :mad:

I'd start looking for a leak and if you're in the waranty period get it into your dealer. ;)

hth

Thanks Pammy,its still under warranty and I am putting it in to get a creak from the rear suspension fixed.

Barry

pammy said:
my boot is so wet at the mo that I can't use it

Pammy...keep it clean, this is a family forum..... ;) :D

Dieselman said:
Pammy...keep it clean, this is a family forum..... ;) :D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p behave :devil:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

who me? :p :p

:devil: :devil: :devil:

It may not be condensation look at the PSE its right of the spare wheel its a big problem with R170s the water gets in travels down the cables and bingo £500 bill. A search on SLK forums will give you some idea of the problem, if you have it. A shake of the PSE (it powers the Central locking) will tell you if water has got in (or feel the soft cover), a tip is put it in a plastic bag and seal it.

see link http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1206992&posts=19

gary (homealone)

Last edited:
Car has now had a new boot seal,No change
Went back in and they water tested it and no water is getting in .
Car still has some condensation in boot lid and if it rains and a little moisture is inside ,the car will condense inside cabin when parked.

I have asked dealer to check the A/c to ensure it is drying the air out.They seem to ignore this.For a 2 year old car could the drains be blocked?

Is the car not being run long enough for the A/c to dry it out completly?

Longest drive is about 30 mins.

I don't have any problem with mine since they fixed the boot seal and fit of boot lid etc. Took a while for it to dry out completely but it is now bone dry. Yours should be too ;) .

I'd be inclined to have a good chat with the head of the service department and arrange to book it in for them to sort it our completely. Make them book you a courtesy car and tell them you don't want it back until it's sorted. You should not get any condensation at all, The A/C has got nothing to do with it afaik.

Have to go along with what Pammy said here. Mine is now 7 years old and the boot is totally dry.

car was in all last week to fix 5 problems including the condensation.I was told it was coming in through light lens which was replaced.But hey presto cold,damp and raining this weekend and guess what!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys also get the inside of the car steamed up when left parked for 15 mins or more on a rainy day?before you say anything ,you have left the car and are not inside.

No! in a word ;)

Thanks Pammy,Sorry if I seem to repeat ,but I wanted to be entirly sure before I go handing the car back for another week.
I have spoken with main man in workshop and regional service manager.
Both arranged to have it looked at and tommorrow both will have to look again.I shall be asking for recompense over numerous faults in last 10 months.
I shall be looking for next service to be paid for at least.

Bary

Sound rediculas but a check for water ingress is to lay news-paper around the boot area, the area closest to the ingress will be wettest. Also this works well if you have dampness/water in the car that needs drying out.

I doubt you can do this in an SLK but a real check is to get into the boot with a torch and have someone hose the car down. Start at the bottom and work upwards. Water drips will soon show up in the torchlight.

Car has been dry for weeks now.Just got it back from Bodyshop( they were repainting a water blister under bonnet) and the boot had condensation on the lid again.It was at least minus 4.Could it be temperature related?.Car has not been washed or wet lately.
It is back at dealer today to investigate again,so I just wanted to ask ,in case that is there response on Mon/Tue.

I would still suggest the asnwer is no. Even in the temperatures etc we've been experiencing of late my boot is bone dry.

Now if you've carried something heavily laden with moisture then that will of course contribute to the problem but assuming you haven't then it should be dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom