SLK boot lock removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanf

Car
SLK 230
First i will apologise if this is in the wrong place i wasn't sure whether to put it in Bodywork or HOWTO or this one. Ive got a bootlock which ive tried for weeks to free up and i begining to wonder if its not the correct lock. The key goes in so far but not fully.Ive had the mechanisn out today but couldn't get the lock out and didn't want to risk any damage with brute force. Any ideas?

TIA Alan

The lock below is of C180 (W202) I think your car is based on the W202 so your boot lock will be similar.
It’s likely that you do have the correct key, the levers in the key barrel and the mechanism seize due to infrequent use.

The trick to freeing the lock with the key is to flood the keyhole with WD40, or good penetrating oil, have the boot lid in the fully open position, this allows gravity to bring the oil to areas where it is needed most.

Put the straw, on the aerosol can, into the keyhole as far as it will go, flood the lock with the oil, repeat every 10 minutes for an hour, work the key in the lock from side to side, without excessive force.
You may get an immediate result or it could take several days.

As your key won’t go all the way into the lock, get a ladies hair pin/grip, open it out and put one end all the way into the lock and wiggle it up and down while at the same time pulling it in and out of the lock.
The ladies hair pin/grip will go all the way into the lock as it is only about a quarter of the width and thickness of the key.

Dec

P.jpg

Thanks again Dec. The lock in the pic does look the same I have been trying to free it on and off for weeks now. I will try a pin or similar my big concern now is that the central locking is goosed so can't lock the boot manually.

Alan

I think if your key works in the ignition and woks the door lock/s then its highly likely you have the correct key for the boot. So that leaves the possibility that one of the brass levers in the barrel is really seized up and this is what’s preventing the keys entry all the way into the lock.

Keep at it Alan, with the lock barrel in the vertical position, the hairpin and plenty of oil, should do the trick …eventually.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom