SLK Command Firmware Upgrade & Bluetooth Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charliem

Car
06 SLK 350
Hi All,

I have recently become the proud owner of an 06 SLK 350. Its got the Command navigation system.

I have previously been using the Android Navigation app on my phone. Whilst it has some sizeable flaws (no new routes with out phone signal) it was rather capable. Especially when you consider its completely Free.

I think the command system hasn't been upgraded since new. The map disk appears to be from 2005. Lots of fairly recent roads are missing from the maps and TMC didn't work. Upgrading the Map disk to a 2010 version has solved the map problems and got TMC working.

Is there anything apart from the ETA display I am missing by not upgrading the Command Firmware? Although the ETA display would certainly be nice. I can't believe they thought they could sell such a high-end (pricey) sat-nav without it, although they obviously managed too!

Do I have to apply each upgrade disk in order or will the latest firmware disk bring any version up to date. Is this what I need its a UK car. Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Service Update Disks :: Firmware update for R171 SLK with DVD based COMAND (EU Version)

One other question. What's the Bluetooth menu for in command under the Serv button. I have managed to pair my phone, but what is it supposed to be used for? The command manual seems strangely vague on the subject. I have the phone pre-wired, but I believe I need a Bluetooth UHI adapter to get my phone to work with the car.

Thanks,

Charlie M

The bluetooth on some earlier comand systems is not active. It will pair but not work! Dealer told me when we got ours in 2005 that MB deactivated them all because they were rubbish! To be fair it was not advertised as having bluetooth at the time. I dont know if a firmware update will reactivate it - Id be interested if it did - but you can get a module for the phone connection in the armrest that will work.

Also... according to MB official catalogue the latest maps disk is this one:

Europe - Version 2010/2011 (NTG 1) - A 211 827 33 65

But either way Alfie and Richard from comandonline should know exactly what you need...

Hi Charlie M

The bluetooth that some early cars have was not for phone functions but for headset and address book transfer. And MB discontinued it as it caused too much confusion.

Remember your Sat nav was designed around 11-12 years ago .... (First came out in the new E class when it was launched and add 2-3 years).

The link to the firmware update above is the correct link, but I can't remember exactly what functions this adds to the SLK.

Here is latest map disk for it: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: Comand APS Map DVD Europe 2010/2011 (V11.0) for E (W211), SL, SLK, Maybach, S (W220), CL (W215), CLS

Phones: As you have UHI, there are some specific cradles for specific phones (such as iPhone), which will charge the phone, use external aerial of the car, and the newer ones use bluetooth so you don't need to plug the phone in for just the phone to work (but obviously no charging or external aerial), and there are generic ones made by Mercedes and not. A selection are on the above website but Android can cause problems and you don't say what phone you are currently using.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom