SLK Daytime Driving Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonharker

Car
W212 E220 Estate SLK250d
I recently bought a 2013 SLK250CDi AMG Sport with standard halogen headlights; during the day the DDL come on but as soon as headlights switch on DDL go out (unlike my EClass); is this normal?

It's a legal requirement that DRLs go out when headlights are on. Google it.

Thanks for reply; do you have 250CDi?

It's a legal requirement that DRLs go out when headlights are on. Google it.

They stay on with cars with xenon, in fact most cars have them on all the time

They stay on with cars with xenon, in fact most cars have them on all the time

Department for Transport regulations state:

"DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark. If used at night they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others and so drivers should always switch to their position lamps or headlamps at night."

and

"DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL.

DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL."

and finally,

"...retro fitted DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions."

Yes, my DRLs go off when the headlights come on. Same with my Toyota too.

How do you find the 250CDI? I'm very impressed, even compared to my 320CDI CLS I had before. Not quite as refined, but in the SLK seems to have a lot of punch! :)

Quite what the government say and what happens are 2 different things, DRLs and side lights are fast becoming one thing.

204a6a676080d840a1253cac585f2073_zps054eafa2.jpg

8c83bafc405082cc66b15685129f7598_zps2e467681.jpg

Nice Briard too I miss mine had 2 of them

HI
Sorry for late reply been away
The only thing I find is the engine is sooo noisy; I also have E350CDi which is in a different league refinement wise; however it's great fun to drive and really nippy; it's just very unrefined; when yours is idling after warm-up does it sit at same place as when cold (mine does and just wondering if maybe over-revving and therefore more noisy)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom