SLK exhaust - anybody changed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 5443

Hi everybody,

I have a 2001 SLK.

Recently the car was making a loud rattling noise on start-up which then quietened down. The guy who services the car discovered that a bracket had snapped which was attached to the exhaust system. He repaired this by MIG welding it back into place.

He did point out that the exhaust system came in 2 sections (front with cat, and rear section) and that the rear section was quite rusty and would probably go at some stage. Rang the MB dealer to find out how much these 2 sections were and was shocked at their total cost of £1200.

I'm okay for the moment, but not looking forward to having to change either of these sections. Just wondered how other SLK owners have fared with their exhaust systems?

Many thanks,

bern

Find your local stainless steel exhaust maker around £400 for the cat back sections.

Mine has had corrosion on the rear silencer as an advisory for the last three MOTs
I'll worry about it when the time cones.

Edna's made the same rattle for a couple of years or so now too - had the bracket welded numerous times including getting a new one made in the past couple of weeks - £40 :) MB wanted to replace the whole lot at a cost of £1200 3 years ago!! Told me the cat was on its way out - yea right!!

I'm keeping my head firmly in the sand until that cat truly comes and batters me around the head!!

Cat Back system on CLK £180 in stainless so thought a SLK would be similar. Quite a few members have now had their car done at the suppliers we use, using our trade discount.

Cat Back system on CLK £180 in stainless so thought a SLK would be similar. Quite a few members have now had their car done at the suppliers we use, using our trade discount.

Will bear that in mind!! :)

exhaust

Hi
Mine is just an A class 2001 diesil
Recently mot'd and failed due to centre section blowing.
Replaced,however I noticed the tailpipe was different.
Manual states it a bolt on.
Did I do alright for £84 or not.
Cheers

The exhaust on my clk 230k is rusty and rattles so I'm getting a stainless steel one tomorrow for £295.

Thanks everybody for all your helpful replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom