SLK higher mileage - what impact?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 5443

Hi everybody,

I have a 2001 SLK230 which I bought in 2006.
So far I have done approx. 8K miles per year, having it alternately
A/B serviced on an annual basis with the necessary extras (brake fluid etc.) carried out when required. The car is in very good nick generally.

I'm starting a new job in Cambridge in 2 weeks which is a 100mile round trip per day from where I live in St. Albans. My annual mileage will thus become 24,000miles.

I'm currently at 70K miles on the clock and just wondered if the car will comfortably handle this increase in mileage per year (8K to 24K) and what impact the increase will bring in terms of servicing. Also, I'm a bit wary of using the car for this run when the really bad weather (snow/ice) potentially sets in during the early new year.

I'm loathe to get rid of the car as it brings a lot of pleasure, but equally I'm concerned about it becoming trashed.

Interested to hear your opinions/advice given.

Many thanks in advance,

bern

my slk is now on 122,000 miles, had it from new, and is a 1998 model.

Honestly, the car handles the miles better than many of the new mercs.

you will end up prob spending the same on service / maintenance, as you are adding on many miles on the motorway, thus less wear and tear.. but it will require prob atleast one or two general services.. ie oil change etc..

id get a full service done before you start the job - just for added peace of mind!

to be honest, you have nothing to worry about..

the slk is one of the most solid cars of the time and an excellent road holder..

in my opinion, i feel the safest when im actually in my slk.. its like a cocoon.. :)

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I have a 2001 SLK230 which I bought in 2006.
So far I have done approx. 8K miles per year, having it alternately
A/B serviced on an annual basis with the necessary extras (brake fluid etc.) carried out when required. The car is in very good nick generally.

I'm starting a new job in Cambridge in 2 weeks which is a 100mile round trip per day from where I live in St. Albans. My annual mileage will thus become 24,000miles.

I'm currently at 70K miles on the clock and just wondered if the car will comfortably handle this increase in mileage per year (8K to 24K) and what impact the increase will bring in terms of servicing. Also, I'm a bit wary of using the car for this run when the really bad weather (snow/ice) potentially sets in during the early new year.

I'm loathe to get rid of the car as it brings a lot of pleasure, but equally I'm concerned about it becoming trashed.

Interested to hear your opinions/advice given.

Many thanks in advance,

bern
If you do it half-hearted and keep it for a couple of years and put that mileage on and decide to sell it you will probably lose out.
So, either sell now or drive it until it can't be driven no more!:thumb:

Should be fine to handle the mileage so long as well maintained. It will cost a lot more to buy a new vehicle than just run this one. High mileage might put some people off but its the history that really matters.

Being doing journey for 1 month

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your feedback.
It helped put my mind at ease.

I've now done the journey for 1 month and everything is going fine.
I've measured the fuel consumption 3 times now and it's averaging about 34mpg.
I normally get the car serviced once a year in January, but now I'll be led by the assyst electronic indicator for when to get it serviced.

Journey takes about 1hr15mins and it's actually a pleasant ride in the morning across country from St. Albans to Cambridge. Similarly, it's a good drive on the way home.

Thanks again.

bern

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your feedback.
It helped put my mind at ease.

I've now done the journey for 1 month and everything is going fine.
I've measured the fuel consumption 3 times now and it's averaging about 34mpg.
I normally get the car serviced once a year in January, but now I'll be led by the assyst electronic indicator for when to get it serviced.

Journey takes about 1hr15mins and it's actually a pleasant ride in the morning across country from St. Albans to Cambridge. Similarly, it's a good drive on the way home.

Thanks again.

bern

..and when the weather permits, the roof goes down:)

It is a car, a nice one, made to be driven, so enjoy it.

Great to hear all is going well. Enjoy the journey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom