SLK marketplace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eng622

I'm looking for a 350 and have looked at a couple locally but not what I'm after. Looking at around year 2005 and there are not that many 350's and most appear to have been on the market a long time. I missed one with right spec/price, so there is a market. Do you expect the market to pick up in March with the new reg and again in June with the release of the new model. Prices should fall in line with age but dealers in the main seem to hanging out for last years prices but perhaps this is because of unsold stock and little coming onto the market. I thought about a face lift one but nearly all for sale are with the smaller engines.

It's not the best time of year to be looking for a convertible, there won't be much stock moving through. Best time of year will be spring/autumn, in the spring prices rise as people think about buying a convertible for the summer and therefore more stock comes onto the market, and in the autumn people think of offloading them before the winter comes and prices drop.

The SLK is very civilised as a winter convertible thanks to the folding roof so I've been quite happy to carry on using it. My Barchetta, on the other hand, would have been a complete nightmare as it's far from waterproof, fortunately I have dry storage available for it so it is slumbering away until probably Easter when it will get brought out again to play.

I think you'll find that the 350's that have been around for a while are there just because no-one wants to buy a convertible in the winter. Want to take a top-down test drive when it's peeing with rain? Didn't think so. Dealers will realise this and understand that they've got a landmark on the forecourt, but also know they can ratchet up the price a couple of grand the first sunny weekend of spring..

Good luck in the search :)

Cheers,

Gaz

As Gaz says, the SLK is just like a 2-door coupe in the winter so it's not as susceptible to seasonal factors as a rag-top convertible is. That said, the raison-d'etre for an SLK is that you can enjoy open-top motoring and it's difficult to predict when that's possible at this time of year so private sellers are probably minded to hang on until the weather improves before advertising.

Also, having spent a good few months looking for a used 350 a couple of years back I can tell you that there are easily 15 or 20 200K's on the market for every 350, and that someone who wants a 350 doesn't want a 200K so good ones with the right spec at a sensible price sell very quickly. Partly due to the relative rarity you really have to keep on the ball with the adverts and also be prepared to travel if you're looking for a particular colour or spec. As a general rule I would say that a 350 that's been on the market for a long while is either missing the important toys (like AirScarf), has a less-than-stellar history, has expensive faults or is unrealistically priced.

All I can suggest is keep looking and eventually the right car will come up. You may have to travel to get it or pay a little more, but at the end of the day you'll get what you really want.

What was your budget?

Following on from my input regarding 'webuyanycar' on the 'Do I sell for cash or PE' post I'm looking to buy:-
SLK 350 54/05/55 reg and will pay the Parkers PE price (much much more than you would get from 'webuyanycar') and up to £1K more for one with the right spec. and lowish miles
So if you are thinking of selling let me have some details.
Must have are heated seats/airscarf and preferred with sports suspension, command/satnav.

did you check out my car in the for sale section?

I'm looking for one in the lower tax bracket, so must be older than mid March 2006 or newer same period 2008
Thanks

Stay below march 2006 or you will hit the high road fund licence bracket. I did :( and it doesnt improve until you get to the 2008 facelift

My old SLK350 (June 2006 06 reg) recently sold through my local dealer where I part ex'd it... they offloaded it for £17k with 33k miles only a little more than what I traded it in at which makes me feel a little better after initially feeling rather bitter about the trade-in price! Was Obsidian Black, Cream Leather, Auto, Airscarf, Heated Seats, Memory Pack, Phone Pre Wire, 6CD Changer, Parktronic F+R.. so a decent spec but considering what is available on the market right now I can't help but think whoever bought it got shafted slightly!

Loved it though but the amount of fuel I was using in it was just getting beyond a joke (mainly because of the loud pedal) so swapped it in for a new E.

The prices will go up as has been mentioned first week of spring and I'm sure you'll find there are loads more available, though since the new model is due to be launched here very soon that will slightly lower the price of the current model.

I had a look earlier today because a friend of mine is after one, there are quite a few high spec 350s around so shouldn't be too difficult to find one that tickles your fancy just make sure it has had any recall work done there was an issue with the brake pedal on certain models made between 2004 and 2006 also the airbag/wiring loom problem which ends up disabling the airbags as soon as you touch the brake pedal... can be quite costly unless you're on good terms with your preferred MB dealership or go to an indie.

2004 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 3500 cc 350 2dr Tip Auto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom