SLK R170 Electrical Strangeness with Roof and Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

triggahippie

Car
SLK 230
Well we've had the car a year now so I guess we're about due for a gremlin or two, in fact yes, in this case two.

I don't know if they are related but they appear to have started at the same time. I have searched this forum and others and have found similar problems but not these particular ones. I shall outline them.

Automatic Door Locking has stopped working. Other than that all locking is working as it should. I have read the posts regarding the main vacuum unit and they don't seem to relate to this problem. All locks work as they should from remote and using the switch inside. It is only the Automatic locking feature that has ceased to work. Yes I have made sure it is activated by putting the key in position 2 and holding the interior locking switch in the lock position for over 5 seconds.

At about the same time the roof won't go up with the engine running..... Weird one this. Roof going up and down is not slow, goes down fine with engine running. If you push the switch to the up position to raise the roof with the engine running the light on the switch just flashes and the roof mechanism remains inert, there is no whirring or anything, just silent blinking. Turn off engine and put the key back into position 2 and the roof will raise perfectly normally. Fluid level is as it should be.

In my experience little annoyances like this are often the prelude to something stopping altogether and as i'm not technically minded and can't find anything related on the forum I have had to start a new thread.

Many thanks for any helpful replies.

Kal

Try pressing and holding the lock button on the centre console for five seconds for the auto locking.
Afraid I can't help with the roof - that's a strange one.

Try pressing and holding the lock button on the centre console for five seconds for the auto locking.
Afraid I can't help with the roof - that's a strange one.

aye, as i said in my original post, i tried that, in fact that was the first thing i tried thinking that perhaps it had forgotten its setting but thank you

How old is your battery ? Get it checked to see what it's condition is like . Before that you could try a battery reset . Remove one lead and leave for 30 mins then reattach and see what happens. Don't forget your radio code . Apparently the battery causes these and many other problems when they are starting to die.
Good luck.
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom