SLK R170 Mod to drop windows when door opens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

techcareuk

Car
S500L (2002) W220 / SLK230k (1999) R170 / SLK280 (2007) R171 / E320 CDi sport (2007) S211
Hi all,
I'm trying to design a mod that will drop the window a couple of mm when the door is open the close it again when its shut!

the end stops that are glued to the window behind the door card keep falling off which allows the window to raise slightly too high and fouls the door seal when the door is closed, this mod will do away with the need for the glued on stops and will drop the wndow when the door is opened alowing the door to be closed with the window lowered a couple of mm and raise it again once the dooris closed, much like the later SLK's and CLK's already have from manufature.

I have designed a simple relay circuit that will take the GND signal from the door switch and send momentory open and close signals at the correct timing to operate the windows.

My problem now is that i'm trying to work out where I can tap into to operate the windws without the IGN being on? my first thought was to tap into the window switches but they are not operational without the IGN switched on?

I've tried t get hold of a circuit diagram of the R170 window system but cant find any copies?
I feel their must be somewhere i can tap into because mods like the smarttop give the function of raising and lowering the windows remotely with the IGN off.

any help much apprieciated!

Mark

Take a permanent live feed from the battery and fuse it in line,won't your idea of taking a
signal from the door switches be too late as the door will be opening? how about taking a signal from the door handle by a micro switch on the door release rod?

My XKR uses a micro switch on the door handle to lower the window and the door pin switch to raise it.

Last edited:
Thanks Martyz for your idea, but my problem is not where to get a supply its where to apply the signal to raise and lower the windows that will work with the IGN off!
The car disables the signal at the switches when the IGN is off so i dont think i can use the switch connections?

the window only gets in the way of the seal when the door is being closed so it wont be a problem opening the door before it has time to send the window down a fraction! as long as the window is dropped a fraction when the door is being closed it will work!

Mark

Not perfect,but drop the window a touch before getting out,when closing the door use the remote and hold lock button so full closure kicks in and shuts the window.

yep thats what i do when i drive the car!
But its my wifes car and she cant be bothered so windows always get forced onto the outside of the door seals and doors get slammed shut, therefore I've designed this circuit before she comes home and tells me the ****** window has smashed when she closed the door! ;)

I'm surprised it doesn't do it already. My '97 SL does the window drop dance :D

can you not just fit a module from a later car ?

yes most other models and makes (e.g 3 series BMW coupe has had this included for years) already have this but for some reason Mercedes did not include this on the SLK until the R171 (mine is the R170).

as far as i know in the later models that have this such as the R171 the dropping windows operation is performed by the main CPU of the car (eg the N10-3 in the case of the R170) so for obvious reasons retro fitting a module from a later car isnt feasable!

I have already designed and built the circuit to perform the operation and testing shows it will work well ........I just need to know where i can connect my modules outputs to operate the windows with the IGN off?

my last resort is to cut the wires to the motors and design a more complicated relay circuit to insert between the motor and the cars CPU to disconnect the motor and drive it directly from my module and have a relay re make the motors connection to the CPU when my module has completed its function, but I really would rather not take that route as it will not be ideal and involve a greater intrusion to the cars wireing and be a lot more messy.

Mark

Circuit Diagram

can anyone help with a copy of the cars circuit diagram? i could trace how to connect my module then?

Mark

Hi all,
I'm trying to design a mod that will drop the window a couple of mm when the door is open the close it again when its shut!

the end stops that are glued to the window behind the door card keep falling off which allows the window to raise slightly too high and fouls the door seal when the door is closed, this mod will do away with the need for the glued on stops and will drop the wndow when the door is opened alowing the door to be closed with the window lowered a couple of mm and raise it again once the dooris closed, much like the later SLK's and CLK's already have from manufature.

I have designed a simple relay circuit that will take the GND signal from the door switch and send momentory open and close signals at the correct timing to operate the windows.

My problem now is that i'm trying to work out where I can tap into to operate the windws without the IGN being on? my first thought was to tap into the window switches but they are not operational without the IGN switched on?

I've tried t get hold of a circuit diagram of the R170 window system but cant find any copies?
I feel their must be somewhere i can tap into because mods like the smarttop give the function of raising and lowering the windows remotely with the IGN off.

any help much apprieciated!

Mark
Hi Mark or anyone!
Did anyone ever come up with a modification to drop the windows when opening and raise them when the door is closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom