SLK R170 Rear Subframe de-rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WhitwellMike

Car
slk 230
I bought my rusty old SLK 7 years ago with a view to restoring her, well I now have a workshop so thought it was about time I got to work.
I have removed the rear suspension, differential etc, and carefully dropped the rear sub frame. Ready for a bit of electrolysis.
I plan to replace both rear quarters soon too, so will post loads of pics of that. Never done a job like this before so it should be fun.
Keep you posted

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7290.JPG
    DSCN7290.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Yeah I made up a wooden frame and MDF tub, lined it with a pond liner. Washing soda and an old BT hub power supply.
Impressive 👍🏻

I keep meaning to pickle an old bike I have, but haven’t got round to it just yet. I must pull my finger out.

I bought my rusty old SLK 7 years ago with a view to restoring her, well I now have a workshop so thought it was about time I got to work.
I have removed the rear suspension, differential etc, and carefully dropped the rear sub frame. Ready for a bit of electrolysis.
I plan to replace both rear quarters soon too, so will post loads of pics of that. Never done a job like this before so it should be fun.
Keep you posted

Mike
Mike how difficult was the rear subframe to remove and can you do it without special equipment. Cheers stu

Mike how difficult was the rear subframe to remove and can you do it without special equipment. Cheers stu
Yeah dead easy. No special tools but you will need male 12 point sockets. Just 4 to remove once the suspension and rear diff were out of the way. Lowered it using the floor jack.

Attachments

• 1601487654798.png
    1601487654798.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 2
Yeah dead easy. No special tools but you will need male 12 point sockets. Just 4 to remove once the suspension and rear diff were out of the way. Lowered it using the floor jack.
Cheers mike. I think mine needs to come out. Only had the car 2 weeks and rotten subframe found when it went for service. Rest of car is mint 😩

Mine is similar/same in the w202, but its bending due to rust. Is it possible to get them repaired or replaced?

So, bit of subframe action today. Breaking it down into sections. The dark blackish cross beam is already done and had a coat of Hydrate80.

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_120845.jpg
    IMG_20201011_120845.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 35
Have to say, like the subframe bath and strip, great idea, great job, thanks for the tip...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom