SLK R170 towbar for cycle rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
A friend asked me if I was aware of any towbar that could be fitted to the SLK R170 to use for mounting a cycle rack, as she was having difficulty. Googling around, I find little useful info as some were saying that it never had type approval and there is no mounting point, while others are saying there is an MB kit.

Does anyone have any leads or help they could give - she is trying very hard to lose weight and the other options seem to cause problems with the roof.

Many TIA.

Careful, Charles, as the boot opens 'backwards' when putting the roof down, and a towbar mounted cycle rack might cause some damage if she forgets.......

I think there was an official MB roof carrier system. It mounted to the A- pillar and at the rear aswell somehow. I think the mounts were a factory fit option but could be retrofitted aswell. Cant imagine it would be cheap though.

Thule market a tow ball mounted tow bar that tips back allowing for rear access to the vehicle.

Go to thuleonline.com to view their range.

Interactive Owner's Manual [In depth | Controls | Loading and stowing]
This is the link for the system. Its for the R171 version. There are comments on the web that something similar was available for the R170 but so far I cant find anything for definite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom