SLK R171 3rd brake light replacement / removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikes & cars

Car
2005 slk350 with AMG sports package
Hi all,

the 3rd brake light in the boot lid has stopped working has anyone had replaced theirs ? would be very grateful if someone can explain to me how it comes out, as I cant figure out how to the remove it from the boot lid? l have removed the plastic from inside the boot lid, but thats as far as l have got

Thanks in advance. Geoff

I have the same issue at the moment, I asked on the other forum but it seems like there are a few different fittings, even the instructions on the workshop information sheets don't match my car. Like you I removed the outer but there are no visible clips or bolts to remove the internal fitting, I tried a bit of force to undo the 3 plastic stands but stopped before I broke them. Hopefully someone will have an answer soon.

This is the WIS proc for replacing the boot lid brake light for 171.454, 171.456 and 171.458. As far as I can see it applies to all 171 models.

Attachments

• AR82.10-P-5375V.pdf
    273.9 KB · Views: 205
I replaced mine on my c220 WO3 few months ago and the LEDS were shorter in width than the original. Wasnt happy with it. Still am not happy with it but Im still driving about with it on threatening to fix the original one day. Another on the to do list lol

Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately none of the threads actually tells one how to remove the trim.
Michael

Hi we have managed to remove the plastic cover, but like you all say there is no way of getting the 3 clips off, not sure but my partner thinks we may need to remove the cover above the number plate with the lock assembly in. I will be ordering a new 3rd brake lamp today and when it arrives will try this. This for the SLK 200 R171 yr 2005

I don't have a problem as such with the 3rd brake light in my 2014 W212 Eclass 220 CDI, but I need to identify the electrical cable supplying it. What color(s) are the cables, and where do they connect into the main harness / rear fuse box. Can it be accessed without removing the rear seats etc. if some one can help?

I'm trying to replace the 3rd brake light in my 2010 R171 SLK. Unfortunately it appears to be completely different th the .pdf posted by Codger49 in 2018. Can anyone upload a replacement guide for my model before I start to break anything? Thanks

Bit of advice. Dont replace it with something aftermarket. After I did with mine it blew the rear SAM module and blew my rear screen to smithereens. Once it was replaced the sam was blown and the demister didnt work. Thanks to a cheaper aftermarket rear middle brake light.

I tried to replace it on ours. Turns out the boot lock is in the way and needs to be removed to gain access. I gave up and got PCS to do it for me. Worth the half hour labour charge. I had previously replaced the one on the 209 with no difficulty so thought this would be simple too. Wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom