SLK R171 rain sensor and dimming mirror part numbers: UPDATED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
I first did this mod to the earliest SLK R171.

=========================================================
NOTE: if you are doing the rain sensor you may as well do a dimming mirror.
=========================================================

a) Every R171 SLK can have a rain sensor installed

b) Some cars were shipping with rain sensor and no rain sensor activation (not many)

c) After battery disconnect the function is lost. Needs activation. Same for new glass.

d) Removing the light sensor takes 3 seconds. Removing the gel goo takes about 10 minutes if you do it with a lot of cleaning and make it very clean.

e) Installation of the upgraded sensor takes 20 seconds but be very careful to align the component.

f) Coding page in the OCP is part of the sensor setup and calibration. The coding page is always needed for correct operation. Decoding the appropriate coding page is a task if you are not hooked up with a Diagnostic Guru. The only way around it is to find a car with the sensor, get the part number and see which coding page it uses.

g) gateway coding is also needed.

Same unit is used in the A-Class (169) SLK (171) and B (245) - check part numbers for other models.

Light and rain
----------------------------------
A 171 820 15 26 (code setting 28)
A 171 820 37 26 (code setting 30)
A 171 820 39 26 (code setting 32)
A 171 820 44 26 (code setting 52)
A 171 820 54 26 (code setting 53)

Light only
----------------------------------
A 171 820 30 26 (code setting 28)
A 171 820 38 26 (code setting 30)
A 171 820 40 26 (code setting 32)
A 171 820 45 25 (code setting 52)
A 171 820 55 26 (code setting 53)

Consult your local dealer for validation of which part is which function. Usually the higher number is the light sensor.

Since this time new code page numbers are in use for later part numbers.

The code setting is VERY important as it relates to a menu setting in the OCP (thing in the middle on the top of the windscreen)

Prices range from 52 Euro - 35 Euro for the units.

It appears that the reason why the activation doesnt work is that some cars only have a light sensor. The PCB is the same in all part numbers but the parts may be missing from the LIGHT ONLY sensor. Which means it has no way to operate as a RAIN SENSOR.

R171-RAIN1.jpg

R171-RAIN2.jpg

R171-RAIN3.jpg

Mirror
R171-RAIN8.jpg

Mirror removed
R171-RAIN9.jpg

Sensor removed
R171-RAIN10.jpg

Installed, coded and tested.
R171-RAIN11.jpg

DIMMING MIRROR PART NUMBERS
=========================

Early R171
-----------
A 171 810 09 17 9051 Dimming
A 171 810 10 17 9051 Dimming with lights package

Later R171
-----------
A 171 810 13 17 9051 Dimming
A 171 810 14 17 9051 Dimming with lights package

Once you have all that done we can talk about passenger side parking aid for cars with no memory seats. This is where the passenger mirror tilts down on reversing.

Miro,

I have a April 2007 R171 with Auto Lights (which I think they all have). I am really interested in the Rain Sensing wipers and dimming mirror.

How can I check what I need and whats the best way to get it programmed? I have no idea how to do this and where to get it done.

Where is the gel goo does this stick the sensor to the interior of the windscreen? Or do you not need to worry about this.

Can you give me an estimate of the price of the bits
Rain Sensor
Dimming Mirror
Getting it coded

Is it really as easy as you say?

Is it really as easy as you say?

Working with no assumptions, no information and no internet notes I did the first one in 1 hour. The mirror is a direct swap and the coding is just basic housekeeping.

Removing the mirror and pushing it back is half of the job. The dimming part just plugs in for power and data (does not dim in reverse).

The gel goo is fresh on the replacement part. It never comes off with the part so it has to be cleaned off. The replacement part comes with its own goo.

I did recall one web member who installed the new sensor without removing the old gel goo and the extra thickness made the new part ineffective.

Coding is done in the central gateway and the OCP.

Working with no assumptions, no information and no internet notes I did the first one in 1 hour. The mirror is a direct swap and the coding is just basic housekeeping.

Removing the mirror and pushing it back is half of the job. The dimming part just plugs in for power and data (does not dim in reverse).

The gel goo is fresh on the replacement part. It never comes off with the part so it has to be cleaned off. The replacement part comes with its own goo.

I did recall one web member who installed the new sensor without removing the old gel goo and the extra thickness made the new part ineffective.

Coding is done in the central gateway and the OCP.

Miro,

"Central gateway and OCP" has gone over head :eek: Can you explain how I can do this or who can do it.

Also how do you remove the mirror? Do you have a more detailed tip on how to do this, where are the catches? which way do you need to pull it (or push it), I dont want to break anything. My car just has the normal mirror is there a wire you simply connect to the new auto dimming mirror already there? Can the dimming mirror be installed without "Central gateway and OCP" programming?

Sorry for being a pain, I am really excited about this upgrade and appreciate you telling us about it but a bit more detail or photos would be appreciated in my case.:)

Last edited:
Miro,

"Central gateway and OCP" has gone over head :eek: Can you explain how I can do this or who can do it.

Also how do you remove the mirror? Do you have a more detailed tip on how to do this, where are the catches? which way do you need to pull it (or push it), I dont want to break anything. My car just has the normal mirror is there a wire you simply connect to the new auto dimming mirror already there? Can the dimming mirror be installed without "Central gateway and OCP" programming?

Sorry for being a pain, I am really excited about this upgrade and appreciate you telling us about it but a bit more detail or photos would be appreciated in my case.:)

The art of removing the mirror was first taught to me by my master in the Temple of Three Spears within Circle. High in the mountains of PiKeWu we were taught to apply extreme force with delicate control. This requires both balance and power. It is the art of

In the words of my master;

" Who put this rag here "

Mystical words I know, some say misleading and irrelevant. But if you examine the process carefully, preparation is the key to all outcomes. The most irrelevant detail can be important. The secret to all friction couplings is a strong grip and little movement. If you should slip you will discover the dark side very quickly.

The art of removing the mirror was first taught to me by my master in the Temple of Three Spears within Circle. High in the mountains of PiKeWu we were taught to apply extreme force with delicate control. This requires both balance and power. It is the art of

In the words of my master;

" Who put this rag here "

Mystical words I know, some say misleading and irrelevant. But if you examine the process carefully, preparation is the key to all outcomes. The most irrelevant detail can be important. The secret to all friction couplings is a strong grip and little movement. If you should slip you will discover the dark side very quickly.

So a crow bar should do the job :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom