SLK roof hydraulics

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by geoffd, Aug 15, 2008.

1. geoffd

geoffd Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 SL 350
    Hi

One of the hydraulic roof cylinders in the boot of my 2003 SLK 230 is weeping slightly so that now the hydraulic fluid level in the pump is low and needs topping up. The roof works fine, and the leak is very slight, and at the moment I can live with it and not repair the cylinder.

At the last service, I asked the dealer to top up the level, but they said a special tool is needed which they did not have.

Does anyone know what this tool might be, and how this fluid is topped up ?

Looking at the pump it would seem that the fluid is added via the gold coloured, allen headed plug on the pump used when the roof has to be raised manually - there is an allen key for this plug fixed to the pump cover. Is this right ? If so, the special tool story sounds a bit suspicious.

Last but not least, what is the fluid ?

Can anyone shed any light ?

Thanks

Geoff

2. carnut

carnut Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL400 & audi A1
    If a "special tool" is required then surely your dealer SHOULD have it! Thats what dealers are for!:confused: :mad:

Sounds like they havent done it before and dont realy want to know:devil:

3. OP
    OP
    geoffd

geoffd Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 SL 350
    Here's what I found

You're right, the dealer should have all the required tools and knowledge, but the fact is, they didn't. These cars aren't that rare, and I'm surprised they havn't needed to do this before. I'm also surprised at no replies to my question here. Again !

Anyway, having trawled a few other sources of information, here are three pictures which show how it's done.

And the special tool...is a squeezy bottle.

Other people have also used a syringe.

I'm told the filler plug needs a 5 mm hex key. I'm also told that only the MB fluid should be used and that it's about £9 for 250 ml.

Hope this helps someone else.

Geoff

Attached Files: