SLK Secondhand or new?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Goldfish 11, I'd be interested to know how things go, I'm making a similar decision now, except I've ruled out the 200 - rather too slow, I thought, for my type of usage.
The options do have me scratching my head, though, as does new/secondhand (and leasing!)

Cheers, Colin.

Portzy an other question.

What would be your SLK dream specification for a used vehicle?

I definatly want heated seats I am not fused about airscarf (Mrs Goldfish hair pigtail/bun blocked it up so is a bit shorter so it is not a scalf but a headband). The wood option looks great and of course Leather and Auto.

You seem to be able to get well specified 04 SLK350's for under £30K with Comand, parktronic etc and I was thinking of going for one of these. But would it be safer to go for a newer 200 (Sadly not as much fun but maybe more sensible and less hassle?)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

OK, if going for a pre-owned 350 and boxing clever as opposed to a ''Dream Car'' then more than likely an early/mid 2006 350, (after the engine and gearbox issues have been resolved ;) ). I love the 350 but its always been just that little bit out of my reach when new and when set against the options that I like the most which are, or would be if I was lucky enough to find one:

SLK 350.
The dark blue metalic, Benitoite I think it is or Designo Mauritious Blue.
Mauritious Blue and Black Designo Nappa leather, failing that, Black or Mauritious Blue Nappa + the Tamo wood bits.

The above colour/upholstery would be a very long shot so, if working from the standard options list, Benitoite Blue and Black Nappa.
7 speed auto + buttons or paddles.
Parktronic.
Heated seats.
Airscarf.
Parameter steering.
Electric folding mirrors.
COMAND.
Roof remote in ignition key.
Digital Climate Control.

Purely by coincidence I had a go in a 200 this afternoon and I tried to make it go like mine and it wouldnt but thats no reflection on a 200. How anyone could feel short changed owning an 200 is beyond me but you get hooked on the V6 I guess, if you drive one you'll know what I mean, it spoils you. There was a lot of soul searching to be done when deciding 350? or 200? and I think thats why the 280 was ''invented''.

Ultimately though, there is nothing whatsoever wrong in owning, driving, loving, kissing, washing, waxing, polishing, admiring or worshiping a 200 with all the bits on it that you desire and thats the main thing.

Portzy.

EDIT: The 280 spec ''on the horizon'' that I have in mind does not reflect the above though because the 280 does not have certain other bits that the 350 has, other than the engine of course. If you see what I mean.

Last edited:
Portzy, interesting spec, remarkably similar to mine, except you've liked Command - I fail to see what it does. can you tell me it it is more than just an expesive satnav, or am I missing what it does?

Agree about the 280:)

Colin.

Portzy, interesting spec, remarkably similar to mine, except you've liked Command - I fail to see what it does. can you tell me it it is more than just an expesive satnav, or am I missing what it does?

Agree about the 280:)

Colin.

Hello.

In addition to sat nav it does, in an SLK, AM/FM radio, CD, DVD (and I believe CD) mp3, Aux in from the analogue output of an mp3 player, and DVD Video.

Portzy

Ah, sounds like bundling of features...can you program speed, sorry 'Safety' camera locations into it, do you know? I'm inclined to save a grand or two, I think:)

Colin.

Ah, sounds like bundling of features...can you program speed, sorry 'Safety' camera locations into it, do you know? I'm inclined to save a grand or two, I think:)

Colin.

On mine, which is two years old, no you cant. I'm not sure about the latest versions though but I dont think that you can, at least not like I think you can with a TomTom.

I've not used the navigation side of it all that often though, I use the car more for fun than a daily driver plus there isnt that many ''safety'' cameras round my parts to make it a feature I would use day to day.

For me its mainly radio/CD/Samsung mp3 via the aux/DVD's of concerts.

Portzy.

Portzy.

Of interest I have just had my E service on the 350 and it came to £250 including its first MOT, not bad still only have 4778 miles on it.

How are you keeping dave

gary

I hadn't considered leasing - I did lease a subaru a few yeras ago which worked well...

My thinking on figures is depreciation & loss of capital on a new one (assuming running costs the same for owned/leased) are 7K pa over 3 years, which equates to around 600/month.

A few minutes on google seems to indicate thisd is achieveable, but I need to do more searching:)

Colin.

I think the lease figures would be about the same, 14K over two years. Just a question of do you want another new one in two years??

Portzy,

Thanks for the Spec.

It seems your saying don't go for an 04/05 350 model due to gear box and engine issues. Were these very common?

Instead go for a 200 or 280.

I have not experienced a 350 so as yet I can not be disappointed, probably best not to try one until ready to buy. I was really impressed with the 200.

Would you consider a manual gear box?

I have not experienced a 350 so as yet I can not be disappointed, probably best not to try one until ready to buy. I was really impressed with the 200.

You'll be blown away by a 350 then - so don't try one!! I found the 200 utterly gutless:rolleyes: - but then I like some oomph:devil: . If you found the 200 perfectly to your liking then stick with that, unless you'd also like some extra get up and go where the 280 or 350 would be in a different league.

The 350 manual is brill, but I'd still happily go for the auto as MB autos are just so good.:devil:

Is the difference between 280 and 350 that markedly noticeable?

Portzy,

Thanks for the Spec.

It seems your saying don't go for an 04/05 350 model due to gear box and engine issues. Were these very common?

I have a 350 its 3 years old with not one single fault, any cars that have had faults (very few) have all been fixed (most were in the states). Do not go for the 200 unless you are strapped for cash and try both 280 and 350 before you buy, then buy the 350 (and auto) you will not regret it, its a flying machine with the noise to match..

gary

Portzy,

Thanks for the Spec.

As Gary said, the main source of owner info came from the states but when I was dealing with my original dealer the senior technician had a word with me on the side and said it was a significant issue in the UK also and that he had several 350's on the go at that moment in time but, MB UK were playing it down. I'm quoting you from the horses mouth. So, you pays your money etc but I know what I'd do.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with any of them but at least try the 280 and 350 before you buy thats all, then you wont regret at least having a look and, purely personally speaking, go for an auto. 200 = 5 speed; 280 = 7 speed + shift buttons; 350 = 7 speed + shift buttons.

Portzy.

Is the difference between 280 and 350 that markedly noticeable?

I'd say yes if you drove them back to back. I drove them with about four months in between so the 350 was a memory of sorts when I drove the 280 which was, and is, pokey enough for me 99% of the time.

Portzy.

I can only concur, Pammy, the 350 is seriously fast when you want it to be...and is a pussycat when you dont. Ive found an almost suitable 2nd hand version, with most of the bits I want (doesn't have the posh climate control or xenon lights, but has everything else). Its the right colour (black) as well! Including COMMAND that I don;t really want...

http://www.mercedes-benz.motortrak....2923531,12923664,12924052,12923570&vidindex=2

It saves me 7-8k over a brand new one, which doesn't seem a lot, particularly if I go for a september reg.

Decisions:)

Colin.

I can only concur, Pammy, the 350 is seriously fast when you want it to be...and is a pussycat when you dont. Ive found an almost suitable 2nd hand version, with most of the bits I want (doesn't have the posh climate control or xenon lights, but has everything else). Its the right colour (black) as well! Including COMMAND that I don;t really want...

http://www.mercedes-benz.motortrak....2923531,12923664,12924052,12923570&vidindex=2

It saves me 7-8k over a brand new one, which doesn't seem a lot, particularly if I go for a september reg.

Decisions:)

Colin.

Nice Car, Sadly I need the biege or Gray interior not red. I am looking every day on the MB used site. It is interesting one SLK35O was in Coventry, then Barrsell Common and it is now in Warrington. Do MB shift the cars around the country for a bit of fun?

Also I find you spot a good one and it is gone in a few days. I found a great 2004 with everything on it about 25K miles for £25K it was gone in a day.

The quality if description seems variable - the EU supplied bit, I suppose means it is covered by the warranty unlike a Jersey or Cyprus car which some delaers (not merc, as far as I know) can be a bit evasive on.

I also understand that 2nd hand stock moves around - if you find the used car you want in London, and you live in Leeds, the car can be moved.

I've found a car I like, but its only 95% right, its nice, but nice enough for me? I'm unconvinced yet.

Colin. ( I did once sell cars for a living...)

Before you buy as used car, particularly an expensive one, you need to carry out the due diligence - ask the questions (preferrably email or in writing). There are 2 rules to stick to - 1) patience, don't buy on an impulse, and 2) don't be reluctant to say 'NO' if you aren't 100% happy with th e deal. There are factories churning out cars by the million - the one you reall want is there, don't take 2nd best.

Cars do move around:) the one I'm interested appears to be in both Carlisle and Sunderland!

I guess both 'north' dealers are padding their stock - looks good,
I suppose, but means I have two dealers selling the car I'm interested in.

It has taken the Carlisle dealer 4 days, so far, to get back in touch with me, so I suspect he doesn''t need the sales:( Pity, as the car had moved up to favourite.

Colin.
the sales...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom