slk to audi a2 ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KateBlundell

Car
1999 SLK 230 (with AMG facelift). Linarite Blue
it's going to be a big change.. I'm looking at the open sky roof system so I don't mourn the loss of the open air too much !!

you are serious right?

Did Mr Clarkson & Mr Hammond not say on Top Gear that the A2 was one of the worst cars ever made?

Edit: Clarkson, May and Hammond ask the audience what they think is a bad car, recommending first the Audi A2.

Russ

Last edited:
I do not know but having driven one , and experienced one, i will say it is no match for an SLK

I do not know but having driven one , and experienced one, i will say it is no match for an SLK

did they say that? really? there is an A2 owners club and everything !

I have test driven one.. pretty similar to the a class in terms of size, power etc. but you're right - no comparison to the benz !

no room for pram in slk tho

what a sensible idea - I shall check it out.
tbh I didnt really look at the a class coz felt like I'd been downgraded (No offense to A class owners) at least with a different marque you get a different feel from the interior.. so u don't sit there thinking..i miss you!!!

Please dont buy an A2, its by far no contender to your slk.:(

Kate, I'm confused. You said you couldn't afford to keep the SLK as motoring was costing too much.

Is running an A2 going to be any cheaper given it's a newer car and will depreciate more.?

I like most on here am biased - but I would go for a 124/210 diesel and run it on veg oil and keep the SLK. Although it sounds mad its not quite as nutty as it sounds............

The diesel will do for when you require more than 2 seats, for all things associated with kids and on proper WVO will be extremely cheap to run.
The savings on fuel should just about even out buying and running the car without forcing the SLK sale if you can get a decent insurance quote for a second vehicle.

I have been through loads of Hondas/Astras and a few other makes - but I still have an SL for that day when only a Mercedes drop top will do :)
You will still have the SLK for those special occasions when the sun is out and the blue skies are pulling you towards the hills.

Dont get my "disease" for multiple cars however as I currently have 5 cars all registered and on the road at the same time :eek:

Mark

If it is just a boot size implication with the propect of having to fit in pram, accoutrements, shopping and so on, why not invest in a trusty W124 saloon :D so you can access the rear seats for the baby seat and you can still have the quality and reliability of a classy car. I think you will miss your SLK if switch to the dark side! :crazy: :devil:

Just my thoughts.....

Kate, I'm confused. You said you couldn't afford to keep the SLK as motoring was costing too much.

Is running an A2 going to be any cheaper given it's a newer car and will depreciate more.?

I'd probably get one which was 01/02 reg.. worked out the insurance, fuel etc (the 1.4 tdi does 60MPG) and it would save me about a grand a year.. the cruncher was the idea of having a little un.. no room in marilyn (the slk) for that :(

I don't have a garage - I think if I did would keep the slk for sunny days but Iive in Liverpool and she's already had the indicator unit nicked by some scally..

With our little one I swapped from a BMW 330 M sport convertible to my ML, wife wife swapped from a MX5 to a A class.

The ONLY think I miss is the roof down, but to be honest with the little one in the back there would be little chance anyway.

We will wait until she is a tad bigger then get back to our open top cars..

I loved the full sunroof in the ML but they don't do it in the facelifted model :( :(

I've just swapped from a Porsche to a W202, the wife is really happy to! Her first words after driveing it we "What a pleasure!"

That means I may some day get my 500E now!

I've just swapped from a Porsche to a W202, the wife is really happy to! Her first words after driveing it we "What a pleasure!"

That means I may some day get my 500E now!

But are you happy ???

I bought a new A2 1.4 TDI Special Edition for £12500 in 2004 for one of my employees. If you look at the prices for it now it has hardly dropped in price. The low CO2 figure enabled a 100% tax write-off in the first year.

A2 s are a bit deceptive. They look like a very small supermini, but up close and in the flesh you realise that they are in fact a small MPV with extaordinary leg room. The footwells are massively deep. Its 75hp doesn't sound like much on paper, but the car is made of aluminium and weighs next to nothing, giving it a much brisker acceleration than similarly powered cars.

Unfortunately Audi stopped production of this car due to high production costs. Had the fuel crisis been a few years earlier then I think the situation would have been different.

The ride is a bit harsh, and the diesel noisy, but otherwise it is a good car. As this car is no longer available new, an alternative that would also exhibit excellent residuals might be a MINI Cooper Diesel or Clubman. You are looking at the 70 mpg mark for combined.

Unfortunately Audi stopped production of this car due to high production costs. Had the fuel crisis been a few years earlier then I think the situation would have been different.

I heard production stopped as sales were very poor?

"The A2 was considered to be "ahead of its time" in design terms—but the avant-garde styling did not win favour with customers. Audi was reported to be disappointed with the level of sales; the final production is estimated to be 175000 units. This is in comparison to rival Mercedes-Benz' A-Class sales of 1 million."

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom