SLK200 Kompressor whine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rogmerc

Hi All,
We have just bought a 2005 SLK 200 which has developed an annoying whine from the engine. We have run the engine without the fan belt and the whine still occurs, could it be the supercharger ?

Hi All,
We have just bought a 2005 SLK 200 which has developed an annoying whine from the engine. We have run the engine without the fan belt and the whine still occurs, could it be the supercharger ?
could be the bearings within the supercharger

Isn't the supercharger belt-driven? How is it still running if you took the belts off (or did you leave that one on to identify the fault)?

Thanks Guys
The dealer said he removed the fan belt, I didn't realise the supercharger was belt driven so he must have left that belt on. So looks as though the whine is coming from the Supercharger - back to the dealer for a replacement supercharger then, wish me luck
Rog

Superchargers do whine though. It's one of the first things you hear when a s/c car approaches at speed.
Get someone who knows these cars to take a look if you are concerned. Have you a local MB indy who could have a listen?

Does the engine whine on tickover as the supercharger doesn't engage until around 1800 rpm. It may be a noisy oil pump.

Last edited:
My supercharger seems to whine a little when cold and then it quietens down although it's always there to some extent when the engine is under load. The pulley is always driven but recent superchargers have a clutch which engages drive to supercharger only when boost is required. Judging by the torque available I'm pretty sure mine engages a fair bit lower than 1800 RPM but I guess it would always be disengaged at idle and also at a steady cruise.

There is no service interval specified for supercharger maintenance however the oil can and probably should be changed on a high mileage car.

As Pobody says, the whine of a supercharger is one of its attractions.
Used to love it on the slk, but can't hear it on the clk.

Good point - Yes the engine does whine on tick over. I've booked in to Mercedes of Hertford for a diagnosis so hopefully all will be revealed
Many thanks
Rog

My supercharger seems to whine a little when cold and then it quietens down although it's always there to some extent when the engine is under load. The pulley is always driven but recent superchargers have a clutch which engages drive to supercharger only when boost is required. Judging by the torque available I'm pretty sure mine engages a fair bit lower than 1800 RPM but I guess it would always be disengaged at idle and also at a steady cruise.

There is no service interval specified for supercharger maintenance however the oil can and probably should be changed on a high mileage car.

Im not sure if my SLK had one ,but bearing in those clutches are a known failure point. You can easily remove the belt and turn the clutch assembly by hand if it feels rough then it needs replacement.

Maybe an Indy is the best guy for this job as I don't think merc offer a replacement bearing on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom