SLK250 CDI - The 1st Diesel SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I test drove a tt diesel last year.... sound wise its no throaty petrol but its not a bad note at all.... it certainly didnt put me off the car at all. with the right exhaust system and good engine mounts like the TT you wouldnt know its a diesel. I definitely want one!

The V6 oil burners always impress in well insulated hard top Mercs. But I love the silent effortlessnes of the V8/ & 6 cylinder petrols in the SL roadster, think that may be missing here. On the move at speed it might be ok, and you might have to warm the motor up before dropping the top!

Wonder how popular it will be. I guess many people will be put off by the smell of diesel alone.
Far more smell from a petrol while warming up. Days of smelly diesel are long gone.

About time Mercedes put a diesel engine in the SLK, I wouldn't be surprised if the ended up putting the V6 CDi in as well.

Just watch sales double, I would be putting that V8 diesel in the CL as well and watch those sell like hot cakes.

**** that, lets squeeze a V8 diesel into a CLC or a C class.

That would be a riot if they made that. It would fly!!!

All this talk of diesel just f*ckin tractors at the end of the day :D never heard the term dieselhead are we PETROLHEADS or what :D

Ah-- the diesel engined car --- beloved by company car scheme accountants everywhere --- may have something to do with it also.;)

If it helps bolster the sales of the brand we all like so much, then it keeps them going so they can sell us cars we want!

for me, a roadster would be a weekend toy as it's impractical for my work at the moment, so I'd get one with an engine tuned for fun, but if I didn't carry so much stuff around I could live with one of these.

They're growing on me and 90% of the time I don't actually need a 4-seater cabrio so may well have a look at the an ex-demo 55 AMG when they're available. Think the diesel is going to boost sales in europe.. won't really be received too well else where but it's a decent engine/gearbox combination. Considering how often you'd have the roof down in the UK thanks to the fantastic weather I don't think the way it sounds would be an issue.

Considering how often you'd have the roof down in the UK thanks to the fantastic weather I don't think the way it sounds would be an issue.

Since the UK is the largest cabriolet market in Europe, I guess your comment is tongue in cheek.

Dieselman said:
Since the UK is the largest cabriolet market in Europe, I guess your comment is tongue in cheek.

Very true. Drive a roadster with the top down in the south of France or in Spain on a hot summer's day and it becomes clear why the UK is a better proposition for "top down" motoring.

Very true. Drive a roadster with the top down in the south of France or in Spain on a hot summer's day and it becomes clear why the UK is a better proposition for "top down" motoring.

I hired one in Florida for 2 weeks and looked like a lobster after 2 days! :D

Russ

Roof down...diesel engine....tractor.

Roof down...petrol engine.....car

Roof down....V8 Petrol.....heaven.

my little 4 pot 1.4 petrol turbo jobby with go faster button (which stops the upshift light coming on till you hear the tappets on the bonnet) sounds ok. but no V8.

The diesel version........well the dealer is waiting to sell one as it happens.

no more to be said.

Oh...and just for good measure....when you have your roof donw and you are driving along the nice highways and byways of the countrysied enjoying the car and the air and the views...feel free to remince about how nice it was not to hear the diesel rattel reflecting off the dry stone walls as you bimble about loving the fact you will be getting about 15mpg more.

Petrol heads and diesel deads....

Great video; thanks.
I like the sound of diesel engines. Sound rugged, tough, hard working.

Roof down...diesel engine....tractor.

Roof down...petrol engine.....car

Roof down....V8 Petrol.....heaven.

I refer to our SLK 230 as a tractor.

It's not a very refined lump. And at only 4 pots it's uninspiring sound wise. My E240 slug sounds way better at full bore.

SLKs really deserve to be V6 or V8 petrol.

I thought MB were supposed to be marketing the new SLK towards men. If that's the case, strange choice of driver for the publicity shots...

MarkP

I thought MB were supposed to be marketing the new SLK towards men. If that's the case, strange choice of driver for the publicity shots...

MarkP

Yes. A girl with a shorter skirt would have been more appealing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom