Slk280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brett

Car
XC90
Anyone know when these will be available? Any thoughts vs the SLK350? With a £4k price differential from the 350 and only £3k more than the SLK200K it could be quite compelling...

Portzy's the man for this breed :devil: I think it's an excellent alternative to both the 350 and 200. Think September's the time you can expect to see them flying around these shores.

Brett.

Mines being built the first week in July so they are available now to be built (that is for August / September delivery). Having studied this for months I can tell you that the 280 is 0.7 seconds slower to 62mph, same top speed, slightly better mpg, different alloys (code 606) but still 16", if you want auto it is the 7g tronic with steering wheel buttons. Its listed now as a model on the MB website, you just download the spec and pricelist in PDF. I drove both the 200 and 350. The 200 doesnt seem to have enough kick somehow and the 350 would probably endow me with a life expectancy something similar to that of crop sprayer so the 280 fits the bill perfectly, a 6 cylinder V engine being something I have never owned before being another tick box ticked.

Let me know if there is any thing else?

Oh yes, the price difference did compell me as well. It very nearly didnt happen full stop.

Portzy.

Last edited:
The way I look at it, the SLK280 with the toys I want is £37k, the SLK350 is £41k. Now that doesn't seem a lot of difference but try telling that to my wife. I am going to see my local friendly dealer later today (not making the mistake of dealing with someone 500 miles away again) and see when he would be able to deliver....if he has a slot tucked away in the not too distant future, he'll see the colour of my money today!

Otherwise, I may lose momentum on this and just end up doing the sensible thing - spending a whole lot less on a lesser car and spending the rest on the house. Boring!!!

Brett said:
The way I look at it, the SLK280 with the toys I want is £37k, the SLK350 is £41k. Now that doesn't seem a lot of difference but try telling that to my wife. I am going to see my local friendly dealer later today (not making the mistake of dealing with someone 500 miles away again) and see when he would be able to deliver....if he has a slot tucked away in the not too distant future, he'll see the colour of my money today!

Otherwise, I may lose momentum on this and just end up doing the sensible thing - spending a whole lot less on a lesser car and spending the rest on the house. Boring!!!

Thats exactly the way I looked at it as well. The 280 slot came up by chance for me as the person in front who wanted one could not be contacted and I was next on the list. The 280, while strictly speaking is available, is not in ready and copious supply (new engine?). I may have had to take a 350 but I suppose lady luck and all that......

Portzy.

My local dealer has a slot which I can have for delivery first week of July...spec change is not possible as it is past the cut off point. It is Iridium silver with black leather - probably my least favoured combination. Only other problem is that it is so highly specc'd that it is coming in at almost £41k! Defeats the purpose of saving the initial £4k vs the 350.

not if it gives you all the toys you want ;) but if they are toys you're not fussed about or didn't want then it does defeat the object of the exercise totally.

Or I could let you have a 320 with lots of toys for even less......mail me soon if you are interested as I'm on the edge of a deal with a stealer, something I said I wouldn't do.....

IanAlexander2 said:
Or I could let you have a 320 with lots of toys for even less......mail me soon if you are interested as I'm on the edge of a deal with a stealer, something I said I wouldn't do.....

Sorry but wouldn't have even looked at the SLK before the new shape...good luck with your trade!

pammy said:
not if it gives you all the toys you want ;) but if they are toys you're not fussed about or didn't want then it does defeat the object of the exercise totally.

I priced one up with the toys that I would like and it came in around £37k. I can't really justify spending the extra on a less practical car than we had...he also has a 350 in stock with the toys I want + AMG wheels, but that is at £42k...which is about £5k more than I want to spend and about £35k more than my wife wants me to spend...

Brett said:
I priced one up with the toys that I would like and it came in around £37k. I can't really justify spending the extra on a less practical car than we had...he also has a 350 in stock with the toys I want + AMG wheels, but that is at £42k...which is about £5k more than I want to spend and about £35k more than my wife wants me to spend...

how about a 5 series touring?

Brett said:
Sorry but wouldn't have even looked at the SLK before the new shape...good luck with your trade!
Oh well....deal done in any case, if the ML 270cdi SE with all the toys (ex Command) is a good one, then I have struck a good deal. If not.......well, this is def last chance saloon for DC/MB on anything pre 95ish.....we shall see!!

hope your boy racer lives up to expecs....if not, knock on my door for an opinion on the 500SL.....Brrroom brooom!!! have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom