Slk280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jezyg

Car
318Ti Sport/ST170
Anyone driven or ordered one of these? Going to put in an order for an SLK this month not sure onwhich to go for either the 200K or the 280

Portzy has a 280 on order - due on the near future.

I drove the 200 and found it gutless, but then that is comparing it to my 320. It all depends what you're used to and what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a car that looks good and the power is either better minimised ;) or you just want an engine you can better control then the 200 could be OK for you. If you're like me and want a bit of "go" then it prob won't do :devil: .

You need to have a drive to be sure though.

pammy said:
Portzy has a 280 on order - due on the near future.

I drove the 200 and found it gutless, but then that is comparing it to my 320. It all depends what you're used to and what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a car that looks good and the power is either better minimised ;) or you just want an engine you can better control then the 200 could be OK for you. If you're like me and want a bit of "go" then it prob won't do :devil: .

You need to have a drive to be sure though.

I had a manual C200K with the same engine untill recently it was gutless off the mark but midrange did pull well, but rather lack lustre. Will give both a try.

The 280 WILL be a lot smoother than the 200. It will also be a lot more powerful and probably hold its value better aswell.

I've had many many cars over the years and there is absolutely no substitute for having more than four cylinders for smoothness. Some manufacturers claim they have this counterbalance and that etc, but when it boils down to it, there is nothing like a six, eight or twelve cylinder engine (except of course possibly a five or a rotary engine). With a four stroke engine it is not possible to make it smooth unless there there are more than four cylinders. some may disagree but try them all and you will see.

So I would say go for the 280.

Alfie said:
The 280 WILL be a lot smoother than the 200. It will also be a lot more powerful and probably hold its value better aswell.

I've had many many cars over the years and there is absolutely no substitute for having more than four cylinders for smoothness. Some manufacturers claim they have this counterbalance and that etc, but when it boils down to it, there is nothing like a six, eight or twelve cylinder engine (except of course possibly a five or a rotary engine). With a four stroke engine it is not possible to make it smooth unless there there are more than four cylinders. some may disagree but try them all and you will see.

So I would say go for the 280.

I do think I will go for the 280 is worth the extra money. On the 4 cylinder front ever driven a BMW 2 litre Valvetronic engine? That really is as smooth almost turbine like. IMO as smooth as some 6 cylinders I have driven. Sadly still lacks the aural pleasure of a 6.

jezyg said:
I do think I will go for the 280 is worth the extra money. On the 4 cylinder front ever driven a BMW 2 litre Valvetronic engine? That really is as smooth almost turbine like. IMO as smooth as some 6 cylinders I have driven. Sadly still lacks the aural pleasure of a 6.

I think you are doing the right thing also. Although I keep getting thwarted in my attempts (see below). I guess you have researched the car and know the differences?, manual seat adjust, different (code 607) wheels to the 200 but the same brakes, i.e. non drilled and slotted. Theres a nice one in Harrogate at the mo ;)

Portzy.

portzy said:

I think you are doing the right thing also. Although I keep getting thwarted in my attempts (see below). I guess you have researched the car and know the differences?, manual seat adjust, different (code 607) wheels to the 200 but the same brakes, i.e. non drilled and slotted. Theres a nice one in Harrogate at the mo ;)

Portzy.

Interesting one on the brakes but I had the drilled setup on my C class and found them more progressive but not as sharp as the standard ones on a C class. Wonder if it is the same on the SLK? Taking a 350 out next week.

jezyg said:
Interesting one on the brakes but I had the drilled setup on my C class and found them more progressive but not as sharp as the standard ones on a C class. Wonder if it is the same on the SLK? Taking a 350 out next week.

The 350 test drive will give you a better idea of the overall 'package' I would think. As Pammy says, the 200 is a tad short of something, even I as a somewhat 'sedate driver' most of the time felt that I would quickly grow out of it. The 350 though?, my life expectancy would be very short if I took that route :( .

I think the brake issue is more aesthetic in this instance though, I had the same brakes (as 280) on my departed C200 coupe and they were more than adequate. At least you can get your hands in to clean the wheels easier. Mechanical wi**ey wagging I suppose, if can get away with that flame free :eek: .

Portzy.

Got my test drive booked for Thursday it is a 350 auto but with the 17" tyres and sports suspension that I think I want. It will be the 280 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom