SLK320 Manual Gear-shift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TerryWilliams

Car
Mondeo/924/SLK320/Triumph Motorcycle
I was wondering if anyone has suffered poor gear change on this particular model?

My wife has serious trouble shifting from 2nd down to 1st (in traffic queues etc). It take an enormous amount of pressure to make the shift if the car is rolling even fractionally (NB I checked the clutch for drag - no sign).

I have changed the gear oil to Redline MTL 75w-80 (as recommended by a MB association member) and paid attention to the oil level as specified in the MB workshop damage code covering this issue (26-191-16: 1.5 litres replaces the 1.8 nominal level, a 300ml reduction).

The problem persists: I am a little worried that the problem may be weak synchromesh although the RAC did not detect this as a problem when they inspected the car (pre-purchase - just a few weeks ago). The MB dealer thinks there is no issue and that the shift is normal. He must drive a lorry.

I was wondering if anyone could throw some light on the matter? Has anyone had an issue with synchromesh etc?

Last edited:
If anything it won't be the synchromesh, more likley the baulk ring. This is actually what they are meant to do but it sounds like yours may be a bit stiff.

Also it could be that the linkage isn't set up properly so the gearbox selector is fighting the linkage detent.

How many miles has the car done? Quite possibly the box will loosen up with age.

If not bring it along to one of our GTG and we'll loosen it up for you. :D :D

Dieselman said:

Can we draw straws :D :D

Terry - welcome to the forum :D

How old is the car, what is it's service history like? MB manual boxes aren't the best so it could be OK. As you've not had it that long it could just be something that you really have to get used to and develop the knack for driving it ;) . We had a car - can't rememebr which one now that we struggled for ages with the get into reverse - once we got the knack - it was a doddle.

Last edited:
Scott may be able to comment - same box in his Crossfire?

Dieselman said:
If anything it won't be the synchromesh, more likley the baulk ring. This is actually what they are meant to do but it sounds like yours may be a bit stiff.

Also it could be that the linkage isn't set up properly so the gearbox selector is fighting the linkage detent.

How many miles has the car done? Quite possibly the box will loosen up with age.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll look into that. I have the MB electronic workshop Information system so I can look up any design changes to the baulk ring as well as how to adjust it.

In my considerable ignorance I do't know what a GTG is I am afraid? Although, any help is appreciated; so thanks for the offer.

pammy said:
Can we draw straws :D :D

Terry - welcome to the forum :D

How old is the car, what is it's service history like? MB manual boxes aren't the best so it could be OK. As you've not had it that long it could just be something that you really have to get used to and develop the knack for driving it ;) . We had a car - can't rememebr which one now that we struggled for ages with the get into reverse - once we got the knack - it was a doddle.
Hi,

The MB service history is good. The dealer records show a few incidentals but nothing bad and certainly nothing regarding the gearbox.

The car has done 36,000 miles from new so it should be loosened up by now. I understand what you say about getting the knack of driving it but for the cost of the car you don't expect it to feel like a "westfield" kit-car. The gear change, gear ratio choice and general feel of the box is not what you would expect. The issue didn't really show itself in the test drives so I expect it is creaping expectations but then again we have a BMW 323 and a Ford Mondeo and the gear change is "sweet" in comparison (even from the 2.5 mondeo frnt-wheel-drive).

Thanks for the comment. It is a loverly car except for this one issue so I am sure we will persist with it.

TerryWilliams said:
In my considerable ignorance I do't know what a GTG is I am afraid? Although, any help is appreciated; so thanks for the offer.

A GTG/gtg means get together ;) we often have something on the go - see our events section for more info of what's happening and when. I don't think we have anything specfic planned as a gtg type event in the near future. In the process of arranging a track day at Bruntingthorpe and then a trip to Germany to the Nurburgring. Not all our gtg's are speed driven - well OK - most are :p Many are pure social events where we simply meet up, pop a few bonnets, perhaps have a cup of tea and then if poss something a little harder to drink - only if not driving on of course ;)

A gtg is a really good way of getting other opinions on how your car is going as between us we have experience of many of the MB models.

If you are interested then all are welcome - should see some of the unlikely lads that appear :D

Hello,

I hear someone asking questions about the manual SLK320 gearbox.....? :)

My Crossfire has one (with 7500 miles on it), and when cold it is just plain annoying. Once warm it's still difficult.

Main problems:
Neutral to first is often difficult (sometimes I go to second, then first to make it easy)
First to second is very 'notchy' and not smooth in comparison to higher gears
Getting it to go down a gear when slowing is a pain, and I generally double clutch to make it easier

I have been told by others with more enthusiasm to sort the probem than me, that the manufacturer's recommended lubricant is rubbish, and that changing it to a high end aftermarket version makes quite a difference. I think MB would know what to use, but others are claiming that their problems went away after a change, particularly when cold.

The box is generally regarded as rather poor, but I think it has character. :)

Last edited:
pammy said:
A GTG/gtg means get together ;) we often have something on the go - see our events section for more info of what's happening and when. I don't think we have anything specfic planned as a gtg type event in the near future. In the process of arranging a track day at Bruntingthorpe and then a trip to Germany to the Nurburgring. Not all our gtg's are speed driven - well OK - most are :p Many are pure social events where we simply meet up, pop a few bonnets, perhaps have a cup of tea and then if poss something a little harder to drink - only if not driving on of course ;)

A gtg is a really good way of getting other opinions on how your car is going as between us we have experience of many of the MB models.

If you are interested then all are welcome - should see some of the unlikely lads that appear :D
Oh, Get ToGether. Whoops. Never thought of that. Sounds great especially if it is somewhere nice like Germany.

Cheers. Plus I should wish you a happy a new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom