SLK350 on autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

55AMGCLK

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 55 AMG
Hi all

Not sure if I have posted this in the right section but a friend of mines is interested in this:

Be interested to get your thoughts on this. I am not familiar with the SLK, we will view it on Saturday. Any pointers as to what to look out for welcome.

A lot of car for the money and a good MoT history.

I'd be checking the service history, the roof works properly, no warning lights.

Thoroughly check the leading edges of both wings - if crud has been allowed to accumulate they will rust from behind and replacement wings are over £300 each. No pattern parts available for this car either. Also check bottom edge of rear side panels

Sue loves hers to death and it's only a 200

Shame about the steering wheel buttons on pic 28

And 2 MoTS in 2019, with c1k miles between them, suggests a possible short term owner...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to be in reasonable shape for a near 14 year old car.

Check that everything works properly, including roof, windows, memory seats, seat heating and airscarf. Check the aircon is working (the ad says it's Climate Control - it isn't, it's the basic on/off air-con). Check in the spare wheel well and under the boot carpet for any signs of water ingress. Check the heater fan works properly without any odd noises (which indicate corrosion resulting from blocked front drains). Check the inner edge of both front tyres - they wear first, so nothing wrong in there being more wear there, but they could need replacement sooner than you may otherwise think.

As a pre-facelift car the engine is in the range that's susceptible to balance shaft drive sprocket issues. Check the service history to see if it's had work done on that. The other potential biggie is corrosion of the rear subframe. They corrode from the inside out, so unfortunately a visual inspection is unlikely to show anything untoward but in extreme cases they pull apart. Mercedes will normally replace it under the corrosion warranty, but if they won't the cost will be close to writing the car off.

On a test drive there may be the odd creak from the roof in the first couple of miles. That's not unusual. If it creaks or rattles after that there's potentially an issue. Gear shifts should be smooth up and down, but there's definite lag on the early 7G 'boxes in manual mode. Any feeling that the rear of the car is trying to steer for you over bumps suggests worn bushes or an issue with the rear subframe (see above). The engine needs revving hard to access the performance, so don't be surprised if it feels a bit flat in the lower rev range.

Thanks everyone - as ever great pointers and advice! I look forward to seeing this on Sat. One of MOT advisories did mention an oil leak (2019) so will have a good look around the engine bay too.

Given it is in the problem range for engines , check for any short term owners who might have got shot of it and / or ensure any warranty covers engine peoblems.

Given it is in the problem range for engines , check for any short term owners who might have got shot of it and / or ensure any warranty covers engine peoblems.

It has got 3 owners but as you mentioned before, it has had 2 MOTs in 2019 and the seems a little suspect. Will see if garage have any explanation, I will be looking for a 3 or 6 month full warranty which covers the engine.

I have the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for the 2 V6 petrol engines with potentisl balance shaft issues, but on here or MBOA, when I was researching buying my SLK280 I found a link to a document that gives the engine numbers for each of the 2 different problems these engine encountered - needless to say I can't find it now! Maybe a search for M272 and/or M273 will find it!

Edit - I tried the search M272 balance shaft on here and found a lot of mentions, 1 in particular answering a query about an SLK350 :

engines up to #2729..30 468933 -- this when the gear is the problem

engines up to #2729..30 759427 -- this when the adjustment solenoids are the problem

engines up to #2729..30 895140 -- this when the adjustment solenoids leak oil

Last edited:
I have the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for the 2 V6 petrol engines with potentisl balance shaft issues, but on here or MBOA, when I was researching buying my SLK280 I found a link to a document that gives the engine numbers for each of the 2 different problems these engine encountered - needless to say I can't find it now! Maybe a search for M272 and/or M273 will find it!

Edit - I tried the search M272 balance shaft on here and found a lot of mentions, 1 in particular answering a query about an SLK350 :

engines up to #2729..30 468933 -- this when the gear is the problem

engines up to #2729..30 759427 -- this when the adjustment solenoids are the problem

engines up to #2729..30 895140 -- this when the adjustment solenoids leak oil

Thanks Chris, very useful information. I will take a pic of the vin and look up the engine number tomorrow.

Hi guys

Just a quick update, went to see the car and it had numerous rust spots (pretty much all arches and bonnet), seals not sitting correctly, various different makes of tyres etc. Generally it was quite tacky and not loved at all.

The heating when turned on was making quite a few noises.

Needless to say, walked away from it.

Thanks for all you guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom