SLK55 AMG in Snow and slush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg, ML320 (2 ) A210 , E320 ( all gone )
just got home after a drive from Manchester, encountered driving snow and 2-4 inches of slush and snow on the Brecon Beacons. Bad enough to stop lorries and cars climbing the hills in the other direction, found myself leading a convoy of about 8 cars for about 20 miles. Even encountered a MB 220d saloon stopped at bottom of a hill and once I had manouvered past him the B***std set off behind me and too close for my liking . Had never driven it in icy conditions but was amazed how safe it felt , had traction control light up a few time but actually felt better than my previous ML 350 cdi in similar conditions. Love this car even more now!
Am currently relaxing with a whisky :rolleyes:

Love it! I guess being a bit smaller/lighter than many other RWD cars helps? I got caught in unexpected snow in the SL once, 95 miles from home. Got back without any dramas although I did take it pretty steady.

My experience with SLK's (R171 and R172) on summer tyres in snow is that it's very dependent upon the type of snow (no sniggering at the back :rolleyes: ), i.e. how wet it is and how compacted.

In wetter, more slushy conditions, and in fresh snow that's not too deep, it's possible to make reasonable progress as long as you drive smoothly. However, if there's a base layer of compacted snow then a supermarket trolley with a dodgy wheel has better directional stability.

Will remember not to go out again in the snow !

In my youth I used to go hunting for snowy roads then I got educated by placing my then Vanden Plas Princess 1300 on its roof after making a new gateway in the hedge for the farmer.

Nowadays if it snows I stay inside and watch the entertainment out on the street.

Still got a Vanden Plas 1300, lovely little car like a mini Rolls Royce on the inside, it’s a 1974 automatic with just 34k.

I remember driving a MG 1300 which belonged to my grandmother, super little car , nicely finished inside with real leather seats and walnut trim,

Our SLK200 (R171) was well behaved in the snow. Good to know the 55 was ok too.

I had a BMW a few years ago and reversed it out of the garage in the snow and because the drive was on a slight incline it slid straight back in. So I just shut the garage door and thought “well that’s told me”.
Horrible car in the snow.

My Vauxhall Omega was awful in the snow. Not tried the 211 as yet but hope not to need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom