SLK55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bieldside

Car
Merc SL65 , Porsche 991.2 Targa 4s , Porsche 9934s, S65 Cabriolet
I keep looking at SLK55s
Not sure why
Well .... big engine
Small car
Rocket ship
Prices very stable
And the shape is not dating

Tempted as a non depreciating car

Thoughts or experiences ???

I have an SL65 so the small brother appeals
Some say a future classic
Whatever that is !!!

Suggest you PM @RussJ

Which model the 171 or the 172. Completely different cars and budgets! How do you find the sl65 ? Awesome cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83cdd6428bdc1ec1e562e3d9c37f39dc.jpg
e024860eb6ea95b7ef3e0443ea0dba21.jpg

I’ve owned both

Which model the 171 or the 172. Completely different cars and budgets! How do you find the sl65 ? Awesome cars

the Sl65 is beyond words really
Interior is beautiful
Leather. Quilted Seats. Too many buttons! Power is seamless and stunning

I need to research the models. Like the pre 2008 facelift but maybe I’m wrong

Yes that is a 171 nice car and very raw. Awesome car too really miss mine. And value for money is great too ! You want the latest car you can find face lift ideally 2009-2010

Many thanks
Yes agreed
Facelift one

loved the 2004? slk that i tested but for the arrival of a puppy then may have gone for a slk55 instead of the clk55,,,,
rapid little things,,,,,,

I have an R172 too - fabulous thing. P30 package is important in my view for added body control and traction with the slippy diff, but as an all-seasons characterful motor car it fits the bill well. A DMS (Southampton) ECU/TCU dyno setup and 'optimisation' adds the icing to the cake and on a long run it's easy to get 35+mpg which is not to be stiffed at. Valved exhaust is clever in that it combines civility at normal low speed stuff and then sounds much more hardcore at WOT. Grab a Chrometec remote valve-flapper-opener box (technical term) and you can decide whether you want the valves Open/Closed/Stock as you wish. Roof down, valves open and gentle throttle is great for warm summer drives. Roof down, valves open and full beans is epic and don't believe anyone that says the 7G-tronic in this car is slow witted and dull - that TCU tweak in Sport/Manual modes is sharp as. Runs on 4-cylinders when it needs to (when you want the Stock valve control, as it sounds plain weird with the open pipes on half an engine) and that's how it makes the MPG numbers. Exhaust sound is a more complex mix than the M156 engines and I like the more 'sophisticated' sound if I'm honest. R172's run a totally different engine with a 12.6:1 CR and it's a really good power-unit.

I may be biased, but they're good cars and the very last of the N/A production AMG's ever built and more likely to hold their own in terms of future value and residuals for obvious reasons. I was tempted to chop both this and my Morgan 3-Wheeler in for a Series-5 Morgan Aero 8 (4.8l BMW V8, manual box, 367bhp/1100kg), but realised that I'd miss the magic mix of practicality, reliability and performance of the 55 and the madness of the M3W, so ditched that idea and will hang on to my now 'keepers' I think.

I have an R172 too - fabulous thing.
Excellent summation of the R172 SLK55 in that post.

My wife had a late facelift R171 SLK350 with very high spec and two years ago swapped it for an R172 SLK55. The difference is night and day, with the R172 being better sorted chassis-wise, and a much nicer place to be in the cabin.

We've just completed a 2,500mile road trip through Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic and Slovakia to Hungary, and then back through Austria, Germany and France. It averaged just shy of 31 mpg, including a number of flat out stints on the Autobahns (hit the limiter a couple of times). It actually surprised me in how quickly it will put on speed above 120mph - even though it's down on power and torque compared to my W212 E63 Biturbo I reckon it might even have the edge on the bigger car at very high speeds which I put down to the smaller frontal area. I also found that it will happily shut down to 4-cylinders cruising at 100mph on the flat, but it needs all 8 to cruise at 110mph :)

As mentioned above, the combined attributes of a small car with a big V8 and the last of the N/A AMG's seem to keep the car attractive, and residuals are holding up well. Whether it will be a future classic is another matter, but it's absolutely the last of the breed and a great car to boot.

As said above, the R172 is just plain fun and puts a big grin on my face every time especially when the valves open on the exhaust and it ROARS! PS. I'm 6'3" and fit in it as well!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Steve :thumb:

They’re fantastic cars really so versatile. The only runner up for me is the SL63 amg who’s is practically twice the price

dbfcac5b2c3535b8cebc3283631009e7.jpg
81902d1777c4b73ed6b05231548738fa.jpg
ade17a92d8dc37801351ab4c183b3f60.jpg
4caad3df3f4256a69fe54ee149cb88e2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom