SLK55 handbrake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

television

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
R230 SL500
Just had a 05 SLK55 round and the guy does not like the handbrake, the first three or four notched do nothing, you can feel them and it only locks on the fifth, is that the way it should be

That sounds about right.

Max 5-7 clicks.

That sounds about right.

Max 5-7 clicks.

I was reading a "max 5 notches" figure from the SLK docs? But adjusting should not be based on the clicks but by the adjust wheel teeth (first tighten fully and then release 10 teeth steps.

I was reading a "max 5 notches" figure from the SLK docs? But adjusting should not be based on the clicks but by the adjust wheel teeth (first tighten fully and then release 10 teeth steps.

I never use the "foot/hand brake"...just stick it in park...something I picked up in USA in cold winters and have never changed ...... should I?

I never use the "foot/hand brake"...just stick it in park...something I picked up in USA in cold winters and have never changed ...... should I?

I just rang the guy and he is happy with it now that I have adjusted it, thanks to all. It locks now on 5

Fine on a flat surface - any kind of gradient and I wouldn't if I were you. The locking pin isn't designed to be particularly load-bearing.

Fine on a flat surface - any kind of gradient and I wouldn't if I were you. The locking pin isn't designed to be particularly load-bearing.

This isn't direceted at you stats, but there is a common misconception that the Park lock is a pin. It isn't it's a chunky pawl and will hold the car on all gradients.

IF the gradient was too steep the pawl would jump due to the design of the teeth it engages with.

I've never found a gradient that the pawl doesn't hold on, although if parked on a steep gradient I generally apply the brake as well just for surety.

This isn't direceted at you stats, but there is a common misconception that the Park lock is a pin. It isn't it's a chunky pawl and will hold the car on all gradients.

IF the gradient was too steep the pawl would jump due to the design of the teeth it engages with.

I've never found a gradient that the pawl doesn't hold on, although if parked on a steep gradient I generally apply the brake as well just for surety.

I wouldn't be concerned about the tranny park lock not holding but I would consider the rear differential the issue. If one of the rear wheels is on a slippery surface, snow, grass or similar, depending on the inclination, the car would start moving even if the other tyre was having a good hold. The real parking brake of course locks both wheels and the car remains steady as long as one of the rear wheels has sufficient grip.

Perhaps not a typical issue in the UK.

Are you not thinking of the mechanism of the R/P solenoid which is different?

Are you not thinking of the mechanism of the R/P solenoid which is different?

No, I mean the Park pawl in the tail of the gearbox. It is a meaty piece of steel and engages with a decent sized gear which is designed to push the pawl out should the loading be too great or the speed of the vehicle over 5mph.

It's shown in the disk you have.

Cheers

I've never used the handbrake on my CLK. Always somewhat disconcerting when I drive it away from the dealer where its serviced and they've invariably parked it with the handbrake on.

Releasing it always feels like letting go of a tight elastic band. TWANG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom