Slovenia and northern Croatia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Heading there soon. Any driving and travel tips for these two countries please and are Kunas easy to get from ATM's?

It has been a few years since we went to Croatia but driving there wasnt much different from any other southern European country. If you have driven in Italy or Spain you get the idea. Road signs and markings were usually of high standard, I think Croatia improved their roads a lot pending joining the EU.

In some smaller petrol stations you have to tell the staff how much fuel you want and pay upfront.

Not everyone speaks English but many will happily try and help you if they can though.

Never had any issues withdrawing Kunas on the local ATMs either.

Not been to Slovenia so can't comment on what it's like on that side of the border.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Heading there soon. Any driving and travel tips for these two countries please and are Kunas easy to get from ATM's?

As you will probably have to drive through France for at least part of your journey be aware that France now has new legislation banning the use of SatNavs with radar speed detection capabilities.
It is illegal just to own or have one in your car - even if its not being used.
Heavy, heavy fines and vehicle impoundment are quite possible for breaking this new law.

See here...................

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/radar-detectors-in-france.html

Last edited:
As you will probably have to drive through France for at least part of your journey be aware that France now has new legislation banning the use of SatNavs with radar speed detection capabilities.
It is illegal just to own or have one in your car - even if its not being used.
Heavy, heavy fines and vehicle impoundment are quite possible for breaking this new law.

See here...................

Radar detectors in France | AA

Thanks, but just a tiny bit of France. The bit from the Tunnel exit up into Belgium. Then Lux, Germany and Austria to Slovenia. Austria, Germany and Holland on return.

My in-laws live in Northern Croatia, almost on the Slovenian border. It sounds like you'll be very close to the area I know particularly well. Where exactly are you going?

I drive there regularly and have pretty much nailed the best way to get down there.

I have found that the best way to drive down is to get a 9pm or 10pm crossing to France. This way you've had a decent nights sleep the night before, You arrive on French soil just as it is getting dark. Head south and just as you start to tire at about 4AM, dawn breaks and you get an extra wind in your sails.

Avoid driving through France as the tolls are expensive and French Police on the prowl for British victims so from Calais, hang a left, into Belgium, then south through Luxembourg towards Karlsruh and then it is fast autobahn past Stuttgart (maybe take in the Mercedes Factory ) and past Munich until you hit Austria. Stop for a rest break before you hit Austria and buy a vignette to use the Austrian Motorways or you risk a heavy fine. 10 days is 8 Euro's and two months is about €20 IIRC.

Austria is small and scenery amazing with lots of mountain passes and deep tunnels. If you're going to hit traffic, it'll be in Austria with all the Germans driving down to the beach for summer. Careful on speed here as the roads are heavily policed. Austria is very small and assuming you get a clear run, you''ll be hitting Salzburg in about an hour and a half and into Slovenia. Again, you'll need a vignette for Motorway use in Slovenia so pick one up at any petrol station or rest stop in southern Austria. The Slovenian Vignette is a little more expensive at €15 per week.

At this point, I'd need to know your final destination in Croatia before giving further route guidance/local advice.

My best Calais to northern Croatia drive time is 12.5 hours, worst was 18 due to heavy traffic. If you want to stop overnight on route then get the early ferry instead of evening one and aim to find a hotel around Munich which leaves just a leisurely remaining drive the following day.

Cash points not a problem anywhere (don't bother taking cash). Also ensure you spend what currency you have as you wont be able to convert Kuna's back to GBP when you get back to the UK. Slovenia is of course now Euro's. Border into Croatia is the only one after Calais. You'll have to pass both Slovenian and Croatian sides and each will have two booths, one for customs and one for Police. You should have no problems with either as long as you are polite and have your documents.

Croatia is a member of the International Motors insurance card system under section III of the Multilateral Agreement with the EEA so your normal UK insurance will give you basic 3rd party cover (despite the fact that your insurance company may not realize this until you show them the legislation) You can purchase full cover at the major border crossings cheaply or via your domestic insurer should you feel the need.

Croatia's motorways are all pretty new (what few there are). Many drivers have little motorway driving experience and it shows. Keep your wits about you, especially near the tolls (which are cheap and accept Euros or Kunas).

I'll be in the area in Mid August myself in my trusty W201.

Last edited:
Thanks Spike. :thumb: That's much about the route we've planned. Booked on the 1200hrs Tunnel so stopping at Perl just outside Lux, then again at Siegsdorf before fairly early arrival at Bled. Then Ljubliana, then main stop at Buzet.
Gentle scenic return via Trento and Brenner Pass (one night), Fern Pass, Boppard(2 nights), then Amsterdam ferry.

Buzet... Not been to Buzet itself but I know the Istria region fairly well.

Its wine making country so take the time to sample some. I'm particularly fond of some of the Rose's.

I'd be tempted to take the scenic mountain route from Postojna down to Buzet - you'll love the drive but your passengers may not as its mile after mile of clear mountain switchbacks.

It'll be very warm down there, mid 30's in the shade probably every day at this time of year but cooler evenings.

Bled is equally lovely, very tranquil and much of it is very upmarket now.

I should say that Garmin European maps cover the croatia/slovenia region well but not so for Tom Tom. It may well be worth picking up a cheap European Garmin (from about £70) before your trip as it'll make the whole thing a great deal more relaxing.

Last edited:
a lot of useful information have been already posted, just some more other notes to avoid problem in case of police control.

Both in Slovenia and Croatia headlights always on and some specific stuf are to be kept on board:

spare wheel/repair kit, emergency triange according to reg.UN/ECE R 27, first aid kit homologatd UE, full set of spare bulbs, reflective vest.
I'm not sre but may be also a fire extinguisher.

Roads are good in Slovenia, in Croatia a little less but it's not a big issue on the major roads/connections.

cheers

I forgot...in Croatia is needed also a tow rope to keep on board. Something else!?:D

...a white sheet...no just kidding...but for the rope it's true:)

Go into the caves at Postojna. It's really impressive. If you can be bothered with the trek go to the lakes at Plitvice. I have local mates so they have always taken me to interesting places and most of the names are a bit of a mouthful. Do try the squid, stuffed or not does not matter-personally I love the stuff. Local wine can be good. Try a glass. I have found the people really helpful so go enjoy. Oh yes, bled is nice too if a little touristy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom