slow acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hazlehurst

Car
C220 CDI
I was hopefull somebody could help me with this problem, every so often during driving my 2002 C220 Cdi the car only accelerates slowly, theres no smoke, no noises,no messages on the dash it eventualy gets up to the speed I want but obviously isnt well. If the car is stopped and the engine off for a while it will revert to normal with responsive acceleration, any ideas.

I was hopefull somebody could help me with this problem, every so often during driving my 2002 C220 Cdi the car only accelerates slowly, theres no smoke, no noises,no messages on the dash it eventualy gets up to the speed I want but obviously isnt well. If the car is stopped and the engine off for a while it will revert to normal with responsive acceleration, any ideas.

That is the norm for a DIEsel.

That sounds awfully like limp mode. It can be triggered for all sorts of reasons. One possible suspect is MAS/MAF sensor - any idea when you last changed it? At 8 or 9 years old it's served it's time if it's the original.

When it failed on our ML we were towing (4 tonnes plus) 200 miles in stop start traffic and wouldn't rev past 2,300 RPM. A cheek clenching journey.

I would concur with the mass airflow sensor as it gave very similar symptoms on my cdi, failure of the throttle position sensor threw up a warning on the dash but only on kickdown! otherwise it drove fine.

Hi, ive not had the MAS/MAF changed and cant see any information on the service history, whats the cost for this to be done.

That sounds awfully like limp mode. It can be triggered for all sorts of reasons. One possible suspect is MAS/MAF sensor - any idea when you last changed it? At 8 or 9 years old it's served it's time if it's the original.

When it failed on our ML we were towing (4 tonnes plus) 200 miles in stop start traffic and wouldn't rev past 2,300 RPM. A cheek clenching journey.

Hi, ive not had the MAS/MAF changed and cant see any information on the service history, whats the cost for this to be done.

I would concur with the mass airflow sensor as it gave very similar symptoms on my cdi, failure of the throttle position sensor threw up a warning on the dash but only on kickdown! otherwise it drove fine.

Thanks, mine drives fine and there hasnt been any thing on the dash.

Get it plugged in first before bunging parts on it. It is likely to be the MAF.

I've got a similar problem with mine S320cdi 10 years old. First thing in the morning, I take it out and it flies..... after a while when it's warmed up, it won't rev past about 2000. It doesn't reset itself if I switch off. I changed the Air Mass sensor about 12 months ago and I've just changed the intercooler, there was a slight crack in the old one. It's improved it a little but I still can't operate kick down. I've checked it in to Merc on friday for a star diagnosis but I'm not hopeful. The guy who services it for me is baffled. I'd appreciate any thoughts or solutions from you guys. Thanks

Sticking turbo actuator is my guess. New turbo is the cure.

Thanks for your reply. My man who services it for me said he can hear the turbo operating, so I don't think it can be that. I'll see what they say when I take it to Merc on fri and let you know.

if theres a ceiling of around 2000 rev and no kickdown but everything is smooth up to that point then its usually maf sensor, £50, 5 min job .
if it goes on to 3000 ish and performance is half hearted inc kickdown then it could be the stepper motor that drives air into turbo £120.

Sorry for the delay in getting back and telling you the results of my star diagnosis test. I took the car into Mercedes at Tamworth... who were brill. It turned out to be the maf sensor. I'd had one fitted about 18 mths previously but the mechanic said he didn't think it was a merc part. Anyway it's fine now.. it flies... yipee!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom