SLOWWWW shut down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
Hi all
I am running XP on my home system and have found over the last month it has been very slow to shut down. Some times taking a minute sometimes nearer to 10!!!
I have run Virus, Spyware and Reg software which has flagged and fixed various "problems" but it still has not sped up the shut down process.
Any ideas?
M

Do you have all those virus software programs running all the time or do you use them manually?
They maybe causing as much grief with system performance than the spyware (or what ever) itself.

What software are you running? I use the latest (free) version of AVG and after a complete system scan around 1 hour, plus a de-frag normally sorts everything out.

Running them manually except AVG which is running for virus protection. Hve done a full scan with no virus's found. have not defraged yet but the initial scan showsits not very fagmented.

Have you installed SP3? Before that mine had exactly the symptoms you describe, been much better since.

I'll look into that, the last few times I tried the windows site was up the creek
Cheers

Are you on a home network?

If so and it's a wired network, with the machine off try unplugging the network cable, starting the machine up and then shut it down. Does it shut down any quicker then? If it's wireless then disable the network connection via Control Panel and try a full startup / shutdown sequence. Again, does it shut down any quicker? Windows can be slow to shut down if it has network connection issues or open shares with other machines when it comes to shut down.

It's worth a punt, anyway.

Ahhh Phil, you may be on to something. It has only been slow since moving into my new house which as it happens is when I installed the wireless network. I'll give this a bash to.
Cheers
Mark

Hi all
I am running XP on my home system and have found over the last month it has been very slow to shut down. Some times taking a minute sometimes nearer to 10!!!
I have run Virus, Spyware and Reg software which has flagged and fixed various "problems" but it still has not sped up the shut down process.
Any ideas?
M

Hi Mark,

First of all sorry to say but troubleshooting shutdown is real pain in the neck. Trust me.

To help you I need to understan your problem so please tell me:

- what has changed (new drivers - ROXIO?, new hardware, new software, new ...)
- what actually is happening - is windows saving settings, is showing blue screen, something else?
- do you have ANY shared drives?
- do you have domain controller or workgroup- I mean is thsi company laptop/pc or home?

For now that's all :)

There might be MILLIONS of different reasons.
Please - if you have time - look at this page:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

He knows what is talking about! Before you do anything it would be better to ask first :)

Cheers
Chris

- what has changed (new drivers - ROXIO?, new hardware, new software, new ...)
- what actually is happening - is windows saving settings, is showing blue screen, something else?
- do you have ANY shared drives?
- do you have domain controller or workgroup- I mean is thsi company laptop/pc or home?

- Only new item is the Belkin wireless usb plug in to connect to the AOL wireless router

- sometimes it takes 3-4 minutes for the shut down option window to pop up, then sits on the blue windows is shuting down screen for a few more minutes. If i shut it down via task manager it gets to the blue screen quickly but then sits there for just as long as ever.

- No shared drives, I use the wireless connection for this machine and my work laptop

- No domains or user groups this is my home PC

Cheers
Mark

Mine would go through spells of doing exactly that (didn't do it every time though).

But since putting SP3 on (May 15th) it's consistently shut down quickly. I've not changed anything else on it.

I'm downloading SP3 as we speak, SLOW download speed tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom