SLS AMG tunnel ad. Fake or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had this very conversation with someone this evening.

I would dearly love it to be true, and the whole set up seems entirely plausible, not like many people would have the stones to try it themselves eh?

The one with Schumacher is obviously "'Shopped" as its identical to that but with his face plastered all over the test drivers.

There are couple of offerings on YouTube purporting that it's fake, including this one that goes to some trouble to deconstruct the advert and seems to make some compelling points. The real question is, why would Mercedes-Benz fake this? What does that say about the car they're trying to promote?

[YOUTUBE]Xx5y7v7tJxs[/YOUTUBE]

It puts me in mind of the Fiat Uno Turbo 'Roadblock' advert from the late 1980s, where the car encounters a police roadblock in the middle of a tunnel, and gets past it by doing what the SLS does. That was known to have been created using CGI, and to be fair nobody expected an Uno to be able to do it for real.

It's an advert not real life - do you think they would really try that ? The actors in the shot wouldn't even allow them to drive a car fast towards them in the tunnel.

Edited to add:

Yes the plebs on youtube etc all shouting fake etc. But it's an advert morons - designed to sell something no reflect real events. I bet the producers are laughing their socks off at anyone who thought it was real or who arguing about it. :D

Last edited:
YouTube - ‪2011 Mercedes SLS AMG - Laguna Seca Hot Lap‬‎

worth a look as well

looked at one in the flesh at Draytons at stafford launch party on wed.

Absoutely fantastic bit of kit. suprisingly easy to get in an out, even though the sills seem half as wide as the seats.

engine sits far far back, behind the reinforcing beam /shelf between the front axels.
inpressive front brakes.

lovely lovely quality of stiching on the leather dash.

certainly felt immediately at home in the cockpit, as would any other mercedes driver. A great combination of tradition and modern. would love a drive........(dream on)

YouTube - ‪2011 Mercedes SLS AMG - Laguna Seca Hot Lap‬‎

worth a look as well

looked at one in the flesh at Draytons at stafford launch party on wed.

Absoutely fantastic bit of kit. suprisingly easy to get in an out, even though the sills seem half as wide as the seats.

engine sits far far back, behind the reinforcing beam /shelf between the front axels.
inpressive front brakes.

lovely lovely quality of stiching on the leather dash.

certainly felt immediately at home in the cockpit, as would any other mercedes driver. A great combination of tradition and modern. would love a drive........(dream on)

Missed the launch as was at work :wallbash:

It's an advert not real life - do you think they would really try that ? The actors in the shot wouldn't even allow them to drive a car fast towards them in the tunnel.

The stunt drivers used in the making of The Italian Job came close to achieving a tunnel roll over 40 years ago. Clarkson did something similar in a recent episode of Top Gear, and Fifth Gear manage to get a car to do a complete loop.

So back to the question: what were Mercedes-Benz hoping to achieve by faking this? It's not an original idea, so why bother. They may as well have just driven the car straight through the tunnel and just let us listen to its soundtrack.

At least when Fiat did it, the advert had a narrative (ie: the driver was trying to get past a roadblock designed to stop him). The MB version is just too self-referential for my liking.

There are couple of offerings on YouTube purporting that it's fake, including this one that goes to some trouble to deconstruct the advert and seems to make some compelling points. The real question is, why would Mercedes-Benz fake this? What does that say about the car they're trying to promote?

it was quite obviously a complete and utter fake.

the stunt can be done in a non-aerodynamic car, but it wasn't...

What does it say about the car, and indeed the company? That, surely, is self-evident.

complete fake - look at the lighting rig on the walls of the tunnel - although it is on both side of the tunnel in the before and after shots, it disappears when the do the 'loop'. Watch the slow mo and you can see the join where they splice the CG bit in :)

Utter pomp in my opinion. A whole load of men strutting around full of their own sense of self importance - as if they even matter.
And as for the stunt - a 3 year old might like it, but that's just might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom