SLS or SLR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quigs

Good evening, Ive not been on here for many years after moving away from the brand but now Im looking to get back into it with either a SLS or SLR. I know there's quite a difference in price between the two, and Im drawn to the SLS as I can get the RHD version, but I just keep getting pulled back towards the looks of the SLR.

Can anyone offer some advice on these two models, anything to watch out for etc, or indeed if anyone has owned either of the cars and can give some insight? I know the SLR has to have an engine out every 10 years at eye watering costs!

Finally....anyone have one for sale? :)

SLR although inferior in virtually every way to the SLS (dynamically) however is the more special of the 2 and will hold its value/increase in time./classic.

The SLR can be eye watering with parts costs with the Carbon bonnet being around £20k to replace.

If your budget allows, try to get a 722 model as they are more of a drivers car, however expect to have no change from £300k+

Good evening, Ive not been on here for many years after moving away from the brand but now Im looking to get back into it with either a SLS or SLR. I know there's quite a difference in price between the two, and Im drawn to the SLS as I can get the RHD version, but I just keep getting pulled back towards the looks of the SLR.

Can anyone offer some advice on these two models, anything to watch out for etc, or indeed if anyone has owned either of the cars and can give some insight? I know the SLR has to have an engine out every 10 years at eye watering costs!

Finally....anyone have one for sale? :)
It might be worth a quick look at Manny Khoshbin's channel on You Tube. He has 5 SLR's and one of his videos mentions the cost of various maintenance on them. Maintenance may not be a problem for you, but still may be of interest.

Thanks for the replies. 722's are now in the £600k bracket, which is a bridge too far for me.

Very interesting on that Manny channel and quite watchable. Servicing looks to be expensive, but I suppose this goes with the territory and I have called my local MB dealer who are authorised to do it, so might be able to negotiate some better rates with them !

Well Ive doe some homework and the sums are just not adding up on the SLR. Great car as it is, Ive found out its an engine out every 5 years for spark plug change at a cost of £12k, that's before they start finding other things to replace. This is not taking into account the Service A and B's in between so I really can't justify that expense as 5 years soon comes around.

Search now changed to SLS...if only there were some Silver ones available :(

I've just watched Manny's videos on the SLRs and they are indeed crazy money to look after... especially when you have 5 of them.

But given the choice, I'd much prefer an SLR over an SLS.

I just don't think the SLS has aged at all well having seen one very recently whereas the SLR still looks amazing to me.

I can see why they are silly money to buy though!

Call me fickle....had a long conversation with Steve at Avantgarde MB yesterday who gave me some reassurance on service costs and requirements. SLR back on preferred list again now :)

Call me fickle....had a long conversation with Steve at Avantgarde MB yesterday who gave me some reassurance on service costs and requirements. SLR back on preferred list again now :)
Is Avantgarde an independent garage? What did he say I would be interested to know the highlights 😁

After much much reading, SLR is a non-starter. Servicing costs are unrealistic let alone consumables such as disks at £10k each and pads at £3k a set, just ridiculous. Im usually not very good at man-maths when it comes to cars but Im really not sure they're a sound investment when taking the servicing costs into account. I will probably be proven wrong, but I reckon £250k is their limit for the foreseeable time.

So now on the hunt for an SLS. If anyone knows of a low mileage, ideally in silver, please let me know. Thanks

After much much reading, SLR is a non-starter. Servicing costs are unrealistic let alone consumables such as disks at £10k each and pads at £3k a set, just ridiculous. Im usually not very good at man-maths when it comes to cars but Im really not sure they're a sound investment when taking the servicing costs into account. I will probably be proven wrong, but I reckon £250k is their limit for the foreseeable time.

So now on the hunt for an SLS. If anyone knows of a low mileage, ideally in silver, please let me know. Thanks
Shame - was looking forward to posts on life with your SLR! I guess a lot of these will have ended up as statics in a collection so owners will never need discs, pads or plugs. Of course if you're on the Manny level, costs are just pocket money. If only...

Ive got my eye on that one. I was offered another GT version. 15k miles but it was in Bronze, which after a couple days contemplating, isn't for me!

Im also considering a C63 Black Series...did I say Im fickle?

What about an AMG GT?

Don't want anything too modern and looking for something to hold value a little better than the things Ive recently got rid of.

Well after all this Ive settled on a 2012 C63 Black Series. Thought it would be a more practical solution to my current collection and actually thinking with my head for a change!

Deposit down over the phone and going to tomorrow to make sure everything checks out.

Interesting choice. The SLS gets more power from a bigger intake and a better gearbox but you'll still get to enjoy fundamentally the same engine. Have you found one with the aero wing/canards or without and does it have the bucket seats?

Well after all this Ive settled on a 2012 C63 Black Series. Thought it would be a more practical solution to my current collection and actually thinking with my head for a change!

Deposit down over the phone and going to tomorrow to make sure everything checks out.
Nice choice 👍🏻

No aero kit but Im not too convinced about that anyway if it going to be my DD, although I have found out you can still purchase OEM from AMG if I do change my mind. It does however have the carbon package which I like and the overall condition has prevailed in my decision

PHOTO-2021-03-23-13-48-56.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom