Sluggish gearbox when pulling away?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tagnut

Car
'03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
Hi All,

Apologies if this seems like a silly question but here goes....I have a W211 E320 cdi on a 53 plate that I have owned for about 16 months now. It has always seemed to me that when pulling away from a standstill, it takes a brief moment (about a second or so) from applying the accelerator to the car moving off. This being my first automatic car I had always assumed that this was typical of the type but having been in a new automatic whilst on holiday in Cyprus recently, a Kia if I remember correctly, I found that the car pulled away pretty much the instant I applied the accelerator.

So my question is, is my gearbox a bit sluggish or is this just the norm - perhaps because of the larger engine size and bigger car? If there is an issue if so is there anything I can do about it such as changing out the gearbox oil?

As a result of the above I always drive in Sport mode rather than Comfort as this appears to be a bit quicker on the take up though presumably doesn't do much for my fuel economy.

Try puting a Sprint Booster for more response....

Thanks for the reply but before I do anything I'd like to know if there is indeed an issue or if this is a normal situation for this car

Cheers

It wouldn't hurt to have the fluid level checked or even changed, as I suspect it's still on the original stuff.

Changing the ATF is a must.

I suspect what you have is the normal behaviour. No harm in getting it checked though.

Hi there

I had this problem on my W203 C220 Cdi.

The car would not pull away as soon as the accelerator pedal was pressed.

I owned a W210 E240 before that and it just used to pull away as soon as you blipped the gas pedal - so I knew that something was not right.

I had the ATF fluid changed on the W203 and what a difference it made. No sluggishness and the car pulls away as soon as there is even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal. In fact it wants to go forward even if there is no pressure on the accelerator (just like my previous W210). You have to keep the foot brake applied to prevent it going forward. As soon as the brakes are released the car starts creeping forward. When you then apply the gas pedal... off we go!

The gear changes are also MUCH, MUCH smoother. I think that the previous owner had neglected to change the ATF during the time that he had the car. In fact I think that the gearbox was running on its original oil - it had done 110K miles!

Definately worth getting the ATF oil (and filter) changed - it make such a difference.

Hope this helps

Cheers guys,

The car needs to go in for a service soon anyway so will get the ATF done at the same time. Hopefully this will improve things

My W210 E55 AMG is a little bit like this sometimes. The fluid and filter were changed around 4 months ago.

Mostly it happens with reverse. I'll put it in R, then press the accelerator slightly, the engine revs up a little bit but no bite to the transmission. I'll let go and try again and all of a sudden it will bite.

Had a couple of very very odd instances recently, first was travelling at around 20mph in 2nd, I pushed the accelerator down (not all the way and certainly not on the kickdown switch) and the car 'thought about it' for a while then decided to kick into 1st very very savagely where it used the remaining 1k revs before changing back up.

Also I've had some incredibly jerky gear changes recently, like the car "pauses" and all of a sudden the gearbox engages with enough force to momentarily slip the rear tyres before the traction control notices and backs the whole lot off.

Very odd. I really dislike autos. If there was a manual conversion I'd probably do it.

I have had this "problem" on my last 2 CDI's (W204 200CDI and current W219 350CDI). They were both bought new so I dont think changing the ATF fluid would improve it. The C200 was my 1st diesel Merc so I just accepted it as a quirk of the marque. The acceleration delay very, very irritating and is, probably, why my next car wont be a Mercedes. Although if a fix were found I'd definitely change my mind. I have been told that there is a gearbox software update that gets rid of it, the local stealers service manager said that they would "have a look" at the 1st service. Obviously to make sure that I take it to them for the service :mad:

Last edited:
Very nice spec 211 you have, BTW!

Thanks, I keep thinking about upgrading to a facelifted model but can't find one with the same sort of spec at all. I've always gone for newer cars in the past but got fed up of having to settle for lesser cars and the huge depreciation.

This one has done 130K but with the exception of this minor thing with the gearbox runs like new. I think I'll just keep it and invest some of the money I would have lost in depreciation in a solid maintenance program as I am sure it has many years of good service left yet in it.

Hi tagnut,

I have an E240 and it has behaved the same as yours. The guy I bought it from, a friend, said it has been the same since new...so I always thought it was normal behaviour,

Hi tagnut,

I have an E240 and it has behaved the same as yours. The guy I bought it from, a friend, said it has been the same since new...so I always thought it was normal behaviour,

Yes I suspect that what I am seeing is, at least in part, normal. As others have suggested I'll be changing the ATF anyway. Will post back to confirm if that improves things at all

Cheers,

Beginnings of Demise

Horrgakx,

The symptomology you're describing:
1.Slow to almost no Reverse engagement.
2.Lack of downshifting
3.Upshift difficulties

All taken together,indicate a Mercedes Transmission in need of filter and fluid
change at best.
If that doesn't help,start saving up for a Reman/Rebuild.

Same problem in my R Class 320cdi

Hi,
I have a very similar problem in my R Class. Rolling up to a roundabout, you decide to put your foot down to slot in and the engine and gearbox think about it. Slightly dangerous in my honest opinion, although you get use to it.

I have heard it is to do with the gearbox trying to adapt to your driving style.

I generally only do motorway miles in my car, and as it is a bit of a barge do more wafting around rather than spirited driving. My car has done 34k on an 07 plate so I just assume it is part of the mercedes experience.

Having said all of that my wives 57 plate 35k, 350 SLK auto doesn't suffer at all from this experience (assuming same 7g gearbox), but then I am not sure either of us drive that car in the same way we do the R Class ;-)

Rob.

and another thing.....

The C & S button doesn't seem to make difference in the R Class, where it is much more noticeable in the SLK!

I tend to sit for long periods with the transmission in Neutral. Otherwise it's constantly trying to pull (which would mean a higher fuel consumption). Sometimes if I'm in a hurry it's possible to drop it into Drive and push the accelerator and you catch the gearbox not quite ready and the engine just revs freely. You've got to come off the pedal and wait until it slots in.

I have a similar problem, sluggishness getting off the line, the odd jerky change, and I have had my oil changed. I'm going to get one of those dipsticks off eBay ( a fiver) and check what the level is. I'm due a B service soon, sooo... if it needs a top up they can do it at the same time.
But this is the next bugbear on my list, followed by radio/nav/Bluetooth upgrade.
I keep saying I'm going to change the car but I do kinda love the old girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom