Sluggish power delivery & thirsty to boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pravingaikwad

Car
190E Auto
Hello all,

As a new member to the club thought I'd get stuck in with problem thats recently plagued my otherwise excellent 190E auto.

Noticed now that its significantly thirstier than normal despite being regularly serviced. The car also is sluggish of the mark with the auto appearing to be 'softer' than normal particularly when starting off almost as though its slipping a fraction. Improves a little when the car is warmed up but not much. Also there is a strange sound that accompanies the 'slipping' period like a deep throated rumbling for a second or two before it picks up. Even then I'm not getting the level of acceleration I used to.

I've recently renewed the gearbox oil which has helped a little but the problem persists. Could air/vacuum leaks be a culprit? Has anyone come across before?

when you changed the gearbox oil did you change the filter too? Silly question I know but did you drain the torque convertor before adding fresh oil? Once knew a guy who didnt and mixed non compatable oils, result............slipping and poor performance. He ended up by changing the gearbox. That guy was me, I felt so foolish:eek:

Ian,

Firstly, thanks for getting back to me.

I did change the filter but not the oil in the torque convertor. Now you mention it ever since I've had the car and gave it an initial gearbox oil change I've never has as good performance or economy from it. I guess it doesn't like the cocktail thats swirling around in there. Can this be rectified in any way apart from a new gearbox (as I think we are talking over a thousand for a new one?). Can air/vacuum leaks cause any of these symptoms?

If I was you i would drain both box and convertor, flush out with fresh oil and drain, then re fill with correct oil. Before filling with new oil change the box filter. A Vaccumn leak could cause the box to change slowly but I dont think it would present the symptoms that you discribe. Glad to be of help and as someone recently said, "welcome to the best show in town"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom