sluggish s320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corson

Car
s221 S320 CDI 2007
My Grandfather's s221 S320 CDI has been getting progressively more sluggish and codes keep appearing.

I've just replaced the MAF's but some codes will not go away. The car is not happy, boost is lacking and it still drives as if in limp mode with the EML off

Here are the remaining codes

p2009 Intake manifold runner control circuit low bank 1 c
p0489 exhaust gas recirculation "a" control circuit low
p0243 turbocharger wastegate solenoid "a"
p0100 mass or volume air flow "a" circuit
p0100 mass or volume air flow "a" circuit (again)
p1100 machine didnt read code correctly ***
p0111 intake air temp sensor 1 circuit range / performance bank 1
p1111 machine didnt read code correctly ***
p0638 throttle actuator control range /performance bank 1

Next thing I'm changing is the boost solenoid, is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Check the earth/0v wires, sounds like a lot to be wrong all at the same time.

Before you replace anything. Check the fuses. This sound like in the inlet port shut off motor has blown blowing the fuse.

ok, I've only got a couple of days before heading back to work for 2 weeks.

before reading this I removed the boost solenoid on the turbo and found the arm to be moving freely on the turbo side

I took the solenoid inside and took it apart and found nothing apparently wrong with it.

To test if the motor was blown I moved it by hand into the middle position and refitted it

Driving the car it appeared to have some boost and better pick up

Coming back onto the laptop and reading your posts I went into the fusebox and found 1x20 amp fuse blown so that was replaced

I've then taken the car out and it boosts and pulls well up to 3000 rpm however at that it falls on its face like its hitting some sort of boost cut

A new boost solenoid is arriving tomorrow so hopefully that rectifys it.

Most of the codes seem stuck but when I turn the code reader on it says 0 found rather than 9.

lets see if the solenoid fixes it.

Those solenoids are not very reliable when fitted. We only fit new turbos as we have had so many fail. What was the fuse for?

Circuit 87 – Fuel Pump Relay or Rear SAM Control Unit Fuse Box according to the interweb. Cant find the book, probably in my grandfathers house buried but I don't think either of those correspond to what I am doing.

What should the solenoid do when the ignition is put to the on position but not started?

It made a half sweep to the top then came back down to the middle. Another time it just made a buzzing noise.

the yodel man is 40 stops away so I'll probably get it around 8pm tonight...

if the new one works long enough to temporarily cure it at least I'll know the exact point of failure

Car pulls strong to 2500 revs at 30-40% throttle then begins to kangaroo, feels like fuel starvation

new boost solenoid did nothing so I went back to the fuse box.

Fuse 23 blown again

does anybody have the wiring diagram for an S221?

EML back on, suspecting the inlet port shut off valve as describe before.

thinking about trying the resistor fix.

would make sense as the car does turn off a little funny, revs up for a split second before shutting down

Yes the resistor fix may well sort it,you seem well capable to do that,I see somebody is still selling them on ebay for £10,I suppose the resistor costs about 50p

Thanks, I have no idea where to get a resistor on a saturday morning but Ill give it a shot :confused:

problem solved using the 4.7k ohm resistor in the centre pins of the swirl flap plug

cheers guys

Well done ,yes with Maplin going to the wall not so easy getting resistors,at short notice

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom