Small Air Compressor Advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I need a small but powerful air compressor.
It won't be used to power any tools but will be used for blasting dust out of nooks and crannies.
Adjustable pressure and a long hose would be ideal.

The less expensive, the better. :thumb:

TIA.

Paul.

The little 6L compressors would be perfectly sufficient. All will go to 120/130psi but the tank capacity governs how long it'll last before the motor kicks in and pressure drops. If it's just for inflating tyres, air dusting, then get the smallest tank capacity you can for compactness.

You can probably get them in Aldi now.

See these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...=i:aps,k:6L+air+compressor&tag=amazon0e9db-21

Watch out for the duty cycle on those cheap ones - it certainly won't be continuous. I don't know what sort of usage you're thinking of, but if you're using a blow gun on the end whatever air you're generating is going to vanish pretty quickly, so you might only get a few minutes operation before you have to let the compressor cool off.

Also be aware if you get one with a receiver and go over 250 bar litres (I think), and you're using it for work it will come under PUWER and you'll need a written scheme of examination plus it'll need to be checked every 12 months. This isn't cheap.

At work we use Bambi compressors which aren't in Amazon bargain basement territory but you get what you pay for. The one we have in production runs day in, day out with no attention. It's been there for years and as far as I know never been serviced.

HTH.

Cheers,

Gaz

The little 6L compressors would be perfectly sufficient. All will go to 120/130psi but the tank capacity governs how long it'll last before the motor kicks in and pressure drops. If it's just for inflating tyres, air dusting, then get the smallest tank capacity you can for compactness.

You can probably get them in Aldi now.

See these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...=i:aps,k:6L+air+compressor&tag=amazon0e9db-21

I was about to say , Aldi and Lidl have these things a couple of times a year .

I got mine out of Machine Mart , who have 'VAT free' promotions every few months - I went for a 14 CFM compressor , enough ( just ) for spraying or using air tools . Haven't done any spraying so far , but my Aldi air tools have been very useful .

Also , keep an eye on Costco as they have deals now and then

Deleted. Should fully read post first!

Last edited:
Many thanks for the input guys.

I persuaded the local Screwfix branch to demonstrate one of these yesterday - LINK.
Power-wise it was just what I need, although I have to say it was noisy!
Because it's something that won't be used too often, I should think this is the sort of machine I'll buy and at £90 it is within my budget.
I may pay a visit to Machine Mart to have a look at their range.

Thanks once again. :thumb:

Direct drive compressors are always noisy unfortunately Paul, but it's a trade off over the additional cost of a belt drive machine.

Have you tried the bay? One HERE, though I'm not sure about the advert, very vague but it's local to you, and another one HERE which looks better, down in Tamworth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom