Small Car £2k-£3k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
Hi All,

I’m on the lookout for a first car for my niece. She has up to £3k to spend but ideally wants to spend £2.5k.

Looking for a Corsa / Fiat 500 / Citroën C1 (these three preferred) or similar.

Let me know if you have one you’re selling....

Cheers Jules

Hi

I’m not selling, sorry. But my daughter has recently passed her test and after lots of research, bought a Toyota Aygo.

A great “small” car with a huge mileage range and variety of configurations, including a Semi Auto or, Manual Gear Box.

It’s a nice place to be and good fun to drive. Maybe worth a look to see if it fits her needs?

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there are a number of great small cars out there,but you need to consider the insurance situation,you have already mentioned most of the small cars that people look at,I would add the Seat Mi this is the same as the VW up but cheaper,do not buy the auto version.

I valeted a wee Ka yesterday. It was a great thing (nothing compared to the Streetka I had) but for a young lady it's stylish, fun and plenty of room for her friends.. ..
There's plenty of them out there for sale. IMG_20190306_074516.jpg IMG_20190306_074544.jpg IMG_20190306_074531.jpg

Last edited:
Both great suggestions, the Aygo is definitely a consideration. Don’t think she’d considered a Ka but will mention it to her - thanks.

Both great suggestions, the Aygo is definitely a consideration. Don’t think she’d considered a Ka but will mention it to her - thanks.

Have a look at the VW UP! my daughter passed her test last year and loves her one. Insurance is in the lowest group too. The Skoda and Seat versions are cheaper but the kids prefer the cool VW.

Well there are a number of great small cars out there,but you need to consider the insurance situation
I know it's perhaps counter-intuitive, but your niece may find that the total cost of ownership, including insurance, is actually less if she goes up a size on car rather than going for the smaller cars?

I do know that (for example) Corsa insurance costs are eye-watering for youngsters, so it's pretty critical to do the research. Less fashionable cars are also worth considering. For example, a few years ago a friend's son found that he could insure a Toyota Starlet for a fraction of the cost to insure a one-year younger Yaris.

have a look a the Peugeot "all in one" deals where tax, insurance, service is included in a single monthly payment. Might work out cheaper

have a look a the Peugeot "all in one" deals where tax, insurance, service is included in a single monthly payment. Might work out cheaper

I went with a friend to have a look at this for him (he is 19 and been driving for just over a year). It was nearly £500 on a 2008 as they wouldn't insure him on a 308 until he was 20. Black box was also compulsory. A C1 will be cheaper and also depends on what you can put down upfront. The scheme is a good way to get your no claims bonus started.

I went with a friend to have a look at this for him (he is 19 and been driving for just over a year). It was nearly £500 on a 2008 as they wouldn't insure him on a 308 until he was 20. Black box was also compulsory. A C1 will be cheaper and also depends on what you can put down upfront. The scheme is a good way to get your no claims bonus started.

check the policy is in the drivers name - some of these aren't meaning the driver doesn't accrue NCB!

Just be a cash buy, no finance so nice and simple.

Appreciate the advice

Our Daughter bought a Little Skoda Fabia as a 1st car, nothing special 1.4 8v it had only done 20k from new on (y) 2001 The Car was £695 and the insurance £1,200 no box

Some great suggestions in here.

It is certainly worth looking at a “bundled” package. That may/can help the budget.

We found the Aygo with Adrian Flux Insurance (including their Black Box) & a Service deal from Toyota (Beadles in Kent) + Manufactures warranty, provided her with a good deal both financially and for peace of mind.

FYI. We also found that the Aygo went through a significant improvement/upgrade in 2017/18 This ironed out nearly all of the snags that led to some pretty poor reviews. The two biggest:

* The lag in auto gear shifts.
* Lack of power when pulling away.

Both were mainly related to the semi-auto gear box which still uses a clutch. Just that you don’t see it [emoji49]

My daughters one is a hoot to drive and gives you four doors a flappy paddle shift, sat Nav etc. Plus a mahoosive MPG.

Let me know if you want anything further.

Some great suggestions in here.

It is certainly worth looking at a “bundled” package. That may/can help the budget.

We found the Aygo with Adrian Flux Insurance (including their Black Box) & a Service deal from Toyota (Beadles in Kent) + Manufactures warranty, provided her with a good deal both financially and for peace of mind.

FYI. We also found that the Aygo went through a significant improvement/upgrade in 2017/18 This ironed out nearly all of the snags that led to some pretty poor reviews. The two biggest:

* The lag in auto gear shifts.
* Lack of power when pulling away.

Both were mainly related to the semi-auto gear box which still uses a clutch. Just that you don’t see it [emoji49]

My daughters one is a hoot to drive and gives you four doors a flappy paddle shift, sat Nav etc. Plus a mahoosive MPG.

Let me know if you want anything further.

you got the sat nav fixed ;P ?

Just be a cash buy, no finance so nice and simple.

Appreciate the advice

I personally would go this way too. My friend went for a cash buy instead as it worked out cheaper for a more powerful car. As someone said earlier, some cars in the next category (fiesta or even focus class) are just as much in insurance, maybe even less.

Go into AutoTrader and put your budget in (say £2k-£2.7k). Don't select a make or model and see what comes up, you may find a car that you hadn't thought of.

Good luck with the search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom