small rust spot on by wheel arch. repair advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
On the drivers side wheel arch there is a small rust spot and a button paint bubble next to it.
It's not enough to warrant a respray.

I was going to lightly sand the area to remove the rust and bubbled paint then apply some kind of rust remover then get chips away to put the colour on it.
Does anyone have experience with this
And also Chips Away?

ForumRunner_20140904_134931.jpg

For an area like that I would gently use as small scraper [ chisel] to remove those rust bubbles first. How you proceed depends on what you find. That rust may have migrated from the edge of the panel lip underneath you cannot see. To do a proper repair you would have to drop the bumper to inspect properly. However an adequate cosmetic repair may be possible on the visible area. You need to get down to bare metal-- rusty bubbles mean water has got down to the steel panel at some point and you need to treat it with kurust or something similar first. So sand down with an aggressive grade of wet and dry and then rust treat. Follow that with some zinc primer- rub that down with finer wet and dry to get a smooth finish- You then have 2 choices---- hand paint the area with a touch up paint stick colour then clear coat or get a custom aerosol of your paint made up and spray with that + suitable masking off. The secret is to localise the repair to the smallest visible area possible- or before you know it you are respraying the whole bottom of the wing!!! For such a small area I would be inclined to DIY as Chips Away etc tend to charge per panel no matter how small the repair. However you may wish to get a quote for an entire repair-- they won't accept your prep- they will want to do it all themselves and charge accordingly would be my guess.

Last edited:
That rust is coming from underneath the rubber seal, you will need to get the front bumper off to expose the full extent of it :(

That rust is coming from underneath the rubber seal, you will need to get the front bumper off to expose the full extent of it :(

yep. both my W124 front wings looked like this.

i left them foolishly.

a year or so later, i've got gaffer tape covering the holes for the MOT! :eek:

next year I really must fit 2 new wings!!!

wing rust

This was on my car the day i had it .Going to wait now till next year and have it cut out ,and rebuilt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom