Smart car engine goes bang..!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazer1990

2004 smart pure:

37,000 miles:

seems oil leak to engine screwed it up..
frown.gif
( also lack aof a B service

need to replace engine, so im interested in where the thread writer got his new/recon engine from in europe?

also anyone in scotland who could fit the bloody thing..?
smile.gif

as far as i know thats the only thing wrong with the car.....and it seems a shame to scrap the car if a new/recon engine could be fitted for a fair price....

also posted on this thread for follow up!
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=284614#post284614

I'd be considering an electric conversion if it were me! :)

Sam from McSmarts might kill me but he could do it!

We do engine rebuilds for £1500 fitted, (in Somerset) but a 2004 car I'd be asking for a ESKULAB claim!

Reconned engine, chequered flag in strood, kent on ebay for £650!

Kate

tried chequered flag, but they only got 600cc engines atm..:( they say i could recon my own 700cc engine but only if its serviceable.....and tbh i dont think it is.... garage said there was a major leak of oil into the engine chamber,,:(

as regards the ESKULAB claim, i missed a service so i guess i'd be told to basically pee off???

SHUDE - tell me more about the electric conversion plz..!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 700cc in stock which we could recon, what state is your engine in?? If it's just piston rings/valves gone it's no prob to do an exchange.

Problem would be if a conrod had gone through the case or a conrod or piston had been damaged as we can't by replacements from Smart for these (yet)

Back in work on Tues or drop us an email & some details or pics to [email protected] can prob guess the web address from that too!

Kate

Parrot of Doom said:
Stick a V8 in it, you know you want to.
Dunno about a V8, but a Hayabusa motor sounds like a bloody marvellous idea...

Busa engine would mean no passenger seat! GSXR 1000 or R1 engine would fit though!

Kate

lil.smartie said:
Busa engine would mean no passenger seat! GSXR 1000 or R1 engine would fit though!

Kate
:D Didn't someone once supply a link to one of these 'beasts'? :) Sounded fantastic!

John

blazer1990 said:
SHUDE - tell me more about the electric conversion plz..!! :)
Well, it'd take some research but there is already an electric smart model in production so the parts must be available *somewhere*.

Needless to say the electric ones won't suffer the same problems as the internal combustion models, but it won't be as fast, it won't have anything like the same range (like 100 miles at most!) and it won't sound very exciting (milk float) but you won't have to worry about road tax, congestion charging (at least for now) or emissions tests etc ever again ;)

EDIT: forgot to add that servicing is basically just brakes every couple of years as there is no oil/sparks/filters any more and rather than coughing up £40 or whatever for a full tank of juice it's literally 50p on your electricity meter for a recharge, equivalent of about 300-400 mpg.

EDIT2: oops, also forgot to add that flooded lead-acid batteries will set you back about £3k alone. Well, that's another modification gone to the wall... ;)

Last edited:
Shude said:
Well, it'd take some research but there is already an electric smart model in production so the parts must be available *somewhere*.

Needless to say the electric ones won't suffer the same problems as the internal combustion models, but it won't be as fast, it won't have anything like the same range (like 100 miles at most!) and it won't sound very exciting (milk float) but you won't have to worry about road tax, congestion charging (at least for now) or emissions tests etc ever again ;)

EDIT: forgot to add that servicing is basically just brakes every couple of years as there is no oil/sparks/filters any more and rather than coughing up £40 or whatever for a full tank of juice it's literally 50p on your electricity meter for a recharge, equivalent of about 300-400 mpg.

EDIT2: oops, also forgot to add that flooded lead-acid batteries will set you back about £3k alone. Well, that's another modification gone to the wall... ;)

ROFL......theres always a catch..:(

I have read about the lectric smart and aparently it does like 75 mils on a charge or something like that......very much for light commuter use....i dont think it would handle my 150+ miles a day.......

lil.smartie said:

Kate

I will drop u a line on tuesday, im keen on it getting repaired if for nothing else so i can sell it..and get some cash back before it goes boom again,

in the meantime i bought a pug 307 2.0 hdi not what i really wanted but it goes..LOL

U mean u can fit other engines to a smart and get away with it?

Last edited:
Smartuki do the GSXR conversions but they do turn into a track car, the roadie I have seen with a GSXR engine blew pistons for a past time! Although I have heard of one with a Busa engine round here but not seen it yet!

Kate

I just happen to have a Busa for sale if you need a donor bike :rolleyes:

blazer1990 said:
ROFL......theres always a catch..:(

I have read about the lectric smart and aparently it does like 75 mils on a charge or something like that......very much for light commuter use....i dont think it would handle my 150+ miles a day.......
The smart was originally designed for light commuter/city use. IMHO anyone doing 150+ miles per day in one is asking for trouble, especially as you are presumably using it on the motorway for a lot of that journey! It's just not the right car for that!

Shude said:
The smart was originally designed for light commuter/city use. IMHO anyone doing 150+ miles per day in one is asking for trouble, especially as you are presumably using it on the motorway for a lot of that journey! It's just not the right car for that!

originally bought it when i lived in glasgow , then the wife.....( god ) said we were moving to the country..

thus increasing the daily travel requirements..:( hard to trade a car when its still got loads of finance on it..:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom