smart cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Engineered" by Mercedes and administered by a separate part of the DC empire, although more than a few bits come straight out of the A-class parts bin. Rumour has it the block itself was designed as a lorry refrigeration generator...

Andy

Word has it that the boffins at Merc are designing a mod so that a Smart car will fit in the boot of a proper car.
(Just kidding, they already will fit, lol)

joking aside chaps....

I have been for a ride in smartbrabus's car.

Given the exterior dimensions, it is incredibly roomy inside and doesn't feel like a small car at all.

The acceleration experienced from the TURBO engine, is grrrrrrreat, (especially with the modified ECU settings.....)

....and with 50+ mpg .... I would say it is every bit a proper car - would certainly consider one

(well maybe one for each foot, of course.....)

just kidding Andy - you know I love your car really !!

Welcome to the forum.

S.

Last edited:
I too have had a test drive in a Smart car albeit a bog standard one. I have to admit that for a 2 person family they are pretty good. They have the appeal that for a relatively small cash layout you get a car with a bit of GO to it and the all-important fun factor.

i have a pal who has bought one ,and he said its the best thing since sliced bread, left hooker though, don't know if i would get on with that,must be very easy to park etc. just can't take to the look of them somehow. Wonder if a 4 seater is on the way and right hand drive.

4 door on the way in 2004, shares platform with new mitsubishi colt.

Oh, and you should start seeing some roadsters on the roads right about now...!

I don't find LHD a problem, only takes about 10 minutes to get used to, overtaking isn't really an issue anyway LOL :D

Andy

I used to own a MK4 Limited Edition 'Silverstyle'. When you consider the specification:

Two seater, rear engined triple turbo with a six speed sequential gearbox. ABS. Traction Control. Leather interior. Air Con. Alloys. CD Etc., Etc., and (to some anyway), the kudos of a Mercedes, for the price (£7,800), it was a hoot.

Worst mistake I ever made was selling it!

Ours has just gone over 40K miles and has probably been the cheapest car I have ever run.

It has had two services, one by the MK dealer for about £160, the other by myself for less than £30 for the parts. It has had two new rear tyres (£70 each) and one set of front brake pads (£9). All we do is put about £13 of petrol in it everyday.

It is a great car for town driving and really gets noticed which is good for us as it is used for delivering and advertising at the same time.

I have to admit though it is a bit 'scary' driving it in strong winds especially on dual carriageways. Ours has been 'chipped' and feels very nippy but is probably quite slow in real terms, it's just because it's small it feels fast.

Would recommend one for a bit of fun for local driving.

True, with the skinny standard wheels and high sides, it does tend to get blown about a bit on motorways. The Brabus front spoiler and wide wheels/rubber eliminate this effect (as well as a large wedge of cash from your wallet!)

Anyone else want to own up to having one?

The reviews I've read are very complimentary until it comes to the semi auto box, which I've not heard a good word for. Seeing as I've never driven one, I can't comment, so perhaps an owner (Jimmy?) would give us their opinion?

Originally posted by GregE240
The reviews I've read are very complimentary until it comes to the semi auto box, which I've not heard a good word for. Seeing as I've never driven one, I can't comment, so perhaps an owner (Jimmy?) would give us their opinion?

I don't drive it much myself but when I have, I have found the gearshift to be OK. Admittedly there is quite a delay between upshifts. I think this is because the engine is so free revving that the gearbox waits for the revs to drop before engaging the next gear. It helps if you ease off the gas just before pushing the lever up to the next gear.

The box changes down automatically as you slow down for a junction or roundabout and their is a display on the dash to tell you what gear you are in and when to change gear. Oh, it is a six speed too which I keep forgetting.

Jimmy, you need to put a dump valve on it!

Originally posted by Koolvin
Jimmy, you need to put a dump valve on it!

It has.:)

It makes a little whooooosh when you take your foot off under boost.:D Sounds better from the outside.:D :D

I have been driving the Smart and a new Mondeo most of the day, I prefer the Smart although it is very hot with the glass roof, the Mondeo scores on the A/C side.:cool:

The Mondeo has really tacky, nasty, plasticy chrome rings around the speedo dials, the heater controls and the gear shift.......

Oooops..............:D :D

Originally posted by jimmy
really tacky, nasty, plasticy chrome rings around the speedo dials, the heater controls and the gear shift.......

Oooops..............:D :D

now thats gonna start a fight :)

Andy

I agree with Jimmy.....

The Mundano chrome rings are very tacky !! In a mood of momentary insanity, I test drove a mundano estate a while back ... the salesman was rather embarrassed when part of the indicator stalk broke off in my hand !

Chrome rings on a Merc though.... MUCH nicer.... that was what you meant, wasn't it Jimmy ??!??!? WASN'T IT ?????

rings.jpg

Originally posted by sym

Chrome rings on a Merc though.... MUCH nicer.... that was what you meant, wasn't it Jimmy ??!??!? WASN'T IT ?????

Yeah, I was only joking.:D

Your'e right, the Mondeo ones are more like a silver/grey plasticy effect.

The new Mondeo is very quiet though it has to be said, only a 1.8 so it feels a bit sluggish.

I test drove the 2.5 V6... it was also sluggish !!

..... mind you, my car isn't that quick either.... must get round to getting it chipped !!

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom