Smart Meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I've never seen any benefit in paying to have a smart meter fitted (or two in my case, as I get my gas and electricity through the same provider), and it won't make the slightest difference to my energy consumption knowing how much I'm using. I have no difficulty in reading my own meters and posting the figures on a website. I pay the bills by monthly direct debit.

However, my supplier (currently OVO) is now offering a no-cost upgrade. Is there any hidden downside to having smart meters fitted, either now or if/when I come to change supplier/s?

It’s always been free to have a smart meter fitted?

The advantage is you don’t need to read your meter and you can get onto more tarrifs (including ones that give you a cheap rate during certain hours).

The disadvantages are…. none…. Conspiracy theorists may say otherwise.

My old supplier (Bulb) kept asking me to change to smart meter. We are all electric but on dual tariff. They said they couldn't do a dual tariff smart meter.
With the demise of Bulb we have been moved to Octopus and no doubt they will be pestering me soon to have a smart meter fitted.
Like you, I don't think it would make the slightest difference to our energy consumption apart from the extra electricity needed to run the smart meter.
In the past, smart meters have had to be changed if you change supplier but I believe that is no longer the case.
Number 1 son has smart meters that don't work - something due to 3g signal in his area (I think) I've heard that 3g is being switched off soon - how that will affect smart meters if they do rely on 3g??
I have had a conversation with someone who claimed to have insight - he thought that smart meters in the future would have capacity to charge different rates for example a higher rate when car charging is detected.

There have been various trials lately where you get paid by your energy providor if you refrain from using your energy when they ask you, will only be at times of high demand for an hour or two, you need a smart meter to take part.

There have been various trials lately where you get paid by your energy providor if you refrain from using your energy when they ask you, will only be at times of high demand for an hour or two, you need a smart meter to take part.
Today a friend mentioned that they were previously involved ina trial in which they were paid to take a share of excess electricity in the National Griid. They’d receive a message and then switch on the lights car charger, to consume the excess. Charged the car for free and got paid for it.

I've never seen any benefit in paying to have a smart meter fitted (or two in my case, as I get my gas and electricity through the same provider), and it won't make the slightest difference to my energy consumption knowing how much I'm using. I have no difficulty in reading my own meters and posting the figures on a website. I pay the bills by monthly direct debit.

However, my supplier (currently OVO) is now offering a no-cost upgrade. Is there any hidden downside to having smart meters fitted, either now or if/when I come to change supplier/s?
I’ve never heard of anyone having to pay for a smart meter I talk. I had one of the very first (also from OVO many years ago) and that was free. The early ones couldn’t be transferred between suppliers though. I now have smart meters through Eon which I’m told can be transferred if I switch supplier.

I’ve never heard of anyone having to pay for a smart meter I talk. I had one of the very first (also from OVO many years ago) and that was free. The early ones couldn’t be transferred between suppliers though. I now have smart meters through Eon which I’m told can be transferred if I switch supplier.
Yes originally if you switched supplier the meter would become ‘dumb’ - so not any worse than original anyway. :)

Thank you one and all. I distinctly recall some discussion of customers having to pay to have a smart meter installed at some point, but it could have been years ago; time passes very quickly as you get older...

There doesn't appear to be any benefit to me in getting one, though if I had an EV, there might be. I'll sleep on it.

The disadvantages are…. none…. Conspiracy theorists may say otherwise.
Although....

Don't the Smart meters enable the energy supplier to remotely stop your power supply.
Whilst that should present no problem to honest bill paying customers in normal circumstances, you don't necessarily need to be from the tin foil hat brigade to envisage situations where that may become a concern, do you.?
Currently I believe it requires quite a considerable legal engagement by the energy suppliers to enable such an action. So perhaps the greatest real change is that they gain control over your supply, which (in real terms) they currently don't have.

Just tell them you have a 3 phase supply, do they have a technician qualified to work on 3 phase and can they supply a domestic (rather than commercial) 3 phase smart meter that works in an area of very poor mobile phone signal?? Also that your 3 phase supply is wired for storage heaters and you will not pay to have that converted now the storage heaters have been removed. That should keep the gannets at bay for quite a while, it has for me!!

Smart meter supply and installation have always been free, unless perhaps you live in a remote part of the country. My wife was always against them but I could never work out why. So I went ahead with first the gas, then the electric, now she is all for them.
Accurate bills and no worries about a complete stranger knocking on the door and asking to read the meter., and yes within the terms of your tariff you can change suppliers whenever you wish plus of course if you are inclined to worry about it you can have an instant readout of how much it’s costing you to boil that kettle of water.

Just tell them you have a 3 phase supply, do they have a technician qualified to work on 3 phase and can they supply a domestic (rather than commercial) 3 phase smart meter that works in an area of very poor mobile phone signal?? Also that your 3 phase supply is wired for storage heaters and you will not pay to have that converted now the storage heaters have been removed. That should keep the gannets at bay for quite a while, it has for me!!

That'll work. Or you can just tell that you don't want your old meter replaced?

The Electric suppliers get a grant from govt to install them - that’s why they push them.

If you go ahead insist as part of the install that they also supply & fit an isolation switch.

(If you ever want to upgrade your consumer unit in future, it makes it very easy.
Otherwise you will be paying £140-200 to have one fitted before your electrician can start )

The Electric suppliers get a grant from govt to install them - that’s why they push them.

If you go ahead insist as part of the install that they also supply & fit an isolation switch.

(If you ever want to upgrade your consumer unit in future, it makes it very easy.
Otherwise you will be paying £140-200 to have one fitted before your electrician can start )
Just a tip - Western Power wanted around £200 to fit an isolator but E-ON (my supplier at the time for the property we were renovating) did it for £98. So always try the supplier rather than electric board.

I see little benefit in having a smart meter, just another gadget using your electric.
Our supplier kept asking to fit one but could offer no benefit to me. The smart meter wouldn’t know that I had switched our washing machine on at 0300 to help them out. All it does is return the usage, reading.
thank you to someone above for mentioning an isolation switch, I shall use that if and when..

Thank you one and all. I distinctly recall some discussion of customers having to pay to have a smart meter installed at some point, but it could have been years ago; time passes very quickly as you get older...

There doesn't appear to be any benefit to me in getting one, though if I had an EV, there might be. I'll sleep on it.
Thee have been some recent stories of smart meters stopping working and the householder having to pay for a repair/replacement . I think the energy companies only got paid the once to install them , after that they ain’t interested .
My Dad has spent over 18months trying to get BG to replace a non working gas one .
Im voting don’t get one

Smart meters are a con, the only advantage is I don't have to read the meter it's done automatically
Agree with W1ghty don't install smart meters if you can help it.

Our BG gas smart meter stopped recording usage a couple of years ago (I only knew because, being somewhat anal, I have always taken weekly readings of both gas and elec). After 2 weekly readings falsely showing that I had consumed no gas, I contacted BG only to be told there was no problem as they were getting my readings correctly from the smart meter. Eventually, after 6 weeks and only after much badgering did they agree that things were not right and sent someone to change the meter. There was no charge to replace and no charge for the gas I had used during the 6 weeks it was not recording.

Our BG gas smart meter stopped recording usage a couple of years ago (I only knew because, being somewhat anal, I have always taken weekly readings of both gas and elec). After 2 weekly readings falsely showing that I had consumed no gas, I contacted BG only to be told there was no problem as they were getting my readings correctly from the smart meter. Eventually, after 6 weeks and only after much badgering did they agree that things were not right and sent someone to change the meter. There was no charge to replace and no charge for the gas I had used during the 6 weeks it was not recording.

Just for clarity please..:
When you say the readings "falsely showed that there was no gas use" & that they assured you that it was reporting the use to them.
Was there no use being shown on the IHD, or was there nothing being registered on the meter's own register.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom