Smart meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blondebier

Due to the recent hike the Gas and Electricity prices I'm looking to change supplier.

One supplier I came across (First Utility) are quite competitive and they seem to be offering Smart Meters on one of their products ahead of the full national rollout.

I'd quite like on of these. (I think :))

Has anyone got them already? (I understand you get one for gas and one for electricity)

I haven't got one and wouldn't have one either, you will spend your whole life looking at it and become paranoid if someone in the house so much as walks past a light switch.

It'd be in the garage.

They are slightly different to energy monitors. These replace your old meters and send updates so that your bills are more accurate and you don't need to take meter readings any more.

Apparently they send an update every 30 minutes.

You can then view all the data on their website. (If you wanted to of course ;))

Last edited:
BG-supplied elec monitor-its interesting to look at consumption of different house hold items-novelty wore off 48 hrs later.Tied in with sons school project any way.

I haven't got one and wouldn't have one either, you will spend your whole life looking at it and become paranoid if someone in the house so much as walks past a light switch.

Exactly^

We had this fitted at our house and the best way to describe it is like driving with the mpg constantly showing on the dash- it will drive you mad worrying how much things cost.

From what I remember, putting the kettle on and the dryer cost a fortune (in relative terms) so that's why I put ours in the bin.

it appears there are some security issues with smart meters.

a hacker can see when you are on holiday because your consumption has suddenly gone down because the house is empty.

I do not know how true this is, so do your own research.

Due to the recent hike the Gas and Electricity prices I'm looking to change supplier.

One supplier I came across (First Utility) are quite competitive and they seem to be offering Smart Meters on one of their products ahead of the full national rollout.

I'd quite like on of these. (I think :))

Has anyone got them already? (I understand you get one for gas and one for electricity)

Don't go near first utility they promise you the world and deliver nothing, I switched to them for their smart meters 18 months later I was still waiting for them to be fitted. Then I transferred my supply to British Gas, First utility would not transfer over the account I had to get nasty and legal with them before they did it, i'm now awaiting their proposals for compensation for breach of contract.

Their initials sum it up perfectly FU and if I were you thats exactly what I would tell them to do.:D

Thanks flanaia1, that's useful to know.

They seem like quite a small company. Probably best going with one of the bigger players.

Cheers,
Blondebier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom