Smart Phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
I'm very tempted by the Sony Ericsson M600i, but reviews seem mixed between great and poor/unreliable.

Does anyone have any experience of this device?

The alternative for me is probably the Blackberry 7130g

TIA

PJ

Not a fan of the Blackberry Pearl?

Maybe, but I'm one of those people who thinks that if I want to take photo's, I'll use a proper blummen camera! So the Pearl loses out on that one.

I've also heard that the pearl button itself can't be locked, so you can end up answering and rejecting calls while the taking the thing out of your pocket.

I'm not interested in any of the 'consumer' stuff; music, mms, photos, bla-de-bla-de-bla, and the Pearl is really aimed at the consumer market. If it fits the bill, then I'll go for it, but it's number 3 on my list at present.

PJ

Maybe, but I'm one of those people who thinks that if I want to take photo's, I'll use a proper blummen camera! So the Pearl loses out on that one.

I've also heard that the pearl button itself can't be locked, so you can end up answering and rejecting calls while the taking the thing out of your pocket.

I'm not interested in any of the 'consumer' stuff; music, mms, photos, bla-de-bla-de-bla, and the Pearl is really aimed at the consumer market. If it fits the bill, then I'll go for it, but it's number 3 on my list at present.

PJ

Ive got a pearl and its the best phone ive used in a long time. Menu's are just where you want them to be.

Locking the keypad is easilly solved. Buy an official blackberry belt holster or leather pouch with the magnet proxy sensor in it and it turns on and off when you put it in and out. Plus side to both is that your not going to scratch the lovely piano black casing.

p.s. the camera and screen are brilliant too :)

I can't be bothered with a holster thing. I had one for my Ericsson R380s, and ended up using my T21 all the time.

I'm also nervous of the M600i, as I've been an early-adopter before and got burned, so I think I'll go for the 7130g.

Thanks all :)

PJ

I've had the Orange M3100 SPV since it was released in August last year and I'm going to sell it as it is unstable and slow. Battery life is a joke. Before that I had an Orange M500 SPV and had similar issues.

I considered the Pearl but was not impressed with the build quality and found the joystick very plastic and tacky and it didn't feel robust.

I ended up taking a small step back and going for the Orange C600 SPV. Build quality is fantasic and robust, battery life is good including talk time, menu's are logical and easy to use and it supports push email so I use it with my work Exchange server.

Good luck!

We've used a variety of Blackberry devices over the years, and users have always moaned as it wasn't as practical as a normal mobile in terms of size.

We recently started issuing the 7130g and that stopped overnight from new/upgrade users. Trouble is everyone else wants to upgrade now!!

I'm going to resurrect this thread, because I got a Blackberry Pearl in the end, and I have an issue with it that I can't find a solution to, so hopefully somebody on here can help.

When I answer a call, the microphone seems to have a two or three second delay on it. the caller can't hear me at first, so we end up shouting
"HELLO!?" at each other. :mad:

Vodafone told me to **** about with the Smart Dialing feature, and set it to "My Response", but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I can't find anything on the web; least of all on RIMs websites.

Can anybody else shed any light?

TIA

PJ

I'll give that a try. Thanks

PJ

Shoulda gone for the 8800 IMO.

Cracking device, full qwerty keyboard, an SD card slot and GPS built in. I'd try and get a refund or swap as your handset is faulty.

Shoulda gone for the 8800 IMO.

Cracking device, full qwerty keyboard, an SD card slot and GPS built in. I'd try and get a refund or swap as your handset is faulty.

But I love the keyboard it's got, why do I need an SD card slot, and what's the point of GPS in a bloody telephone?!

I use my phone for TELEPHONE CALLS and email.

PJ

8800 is amazing! I had a Pearl which was very nice, but I love the qwerty keyboard on my 8800... Despite it having GPS, media and all those other fancy things, the battery still lasts 5 days!!

8800 is amazing! I had a Pearl which was very nice, but I love the qwerty keyboard on my 8800... Despite it having GPS, media and all those other fancy things, the battery still lasts 5 days!!

Good to hear, my company just gave me the option of a pearl or the 8800, and I've gone with the 8800, sounds like I made the right choice.

Still frustrating that you can't have it all, the main difference between pearl and 8800 is camera or GPS, why can't they just make one with everything on it ?

Still loving my XDA Mini S as a personal phone, but again the camera isn't great at 1.3MP.

The OS update did the trick!!

:bannana: :bannana:

PJ

Currently running with the XDA IQ (now discontinued) .... pretty impressed - runs Microsoft Direct Push email which syncs with Exchange server in a Blackberry like way - works very well indeed, and hardly ever crashes - for a Windows based thing !

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom