Smart Roadster - Any Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Since Rose Chick is getting a new job and we're going to be moving, I'm facing the very real possibility of a 90+ mile commute every day. Now, doing this run in the CLK is of course possible, but this means I will be buying 100 quid's worth of V Power each week, which given my feelings towards Gordon Brown infuriates me.

Therefore, given that there will be a 'sensible' car available in the form of whatever the better half gets, I was thinking of getting a Smart Roadster for my commute, given that its economical, cheap to run, and a bit of a laugh to boot.

So, come Saturday morning with hangovers intact we rocked up at Purslows in Basingstoke and took out a little yellow Roadster.

Fantastic fun! Since it was such a beautiful day we didn't waste any time in getting the roof down and after a period of protracted searching for the release button gave up on the idea of putting the roof bars under the bonnet where they are supposed to go and put them in what's laughably described as the boot, so we had proper open top motoring.

Its slow to pull away, but once its moving it feels quite nippy, and this was just the 80bhp version. The three cylinder engine sounds pretty cool too, and the noise of the wastegate doing its thing during wide open throttle upshifts put me in mind of Rally cars on a special stage, which goes without saying is cool. Though its small, there was quite a lot of room in the cabin area, and the handling (when you're used to driving big heavy Mercedes' like me) felt razor sharp and the steering was direct.

The worst thing was the gear change, it was slow to respond and made pulling away briskly quite a challenge. Also, whilst I had the option to use the sequential function, this is quite Benz-like in its mollycoddling, so if you rev it too hard when you're in say second, it will change up to third for you, and if you come to a halt, it automatically changes into first. Factor in that there are 6 ratios and its hard to know what gear you're in means that I tended to leave it in full auto mode, but maybe this is something that you get used to in time.

The other thing was that it really wasn't that fast. Feeling quick is one thing but it would be upsetting to be charging down your favourite B road clipping apexes and feathering the throttle only to be inadvertently holding up a bemused housewife in her Volvo estate.

All that said, it put massive grins on our faces, dispelled the last vestiges of our hangovers, and getting back into the CLK afterwards was a model exercise in chalk and cheese.

Now, if I was going to get one of these little beasties, I think it would have to be the Brabus version. It has more power (101 bhp vs 80 bhp) and apparently the gearbox software allows for faster shifts. It also looks a bit more purposeful and dare I say it a bit less girly.

Question I have is, does anyone have or has driven or has access to a Brabus Roadster, and would they be able to share their impressions of it?

Obviously I've looked on the web and read test reports, but its good to hear the opinions of like minded MB drivers.

Thanks

RC

Great choice, but I am biased!!:D

Go here to sort out the sluggish gearchange!

I have the SRU remap and it does help BUT it is still slow.
Brabs look amazing and do go that little better.
I do 62 iles a day in my 4-2, great fuel economy, a laugh BUT can get a bit uncomfortable if stuck in traffic for 1 1/2 hours

OK trying to be unbiased.....for the sort of money you are looking at, you could by a Fiesta ST or a street KA, both of which would be more comfortable, cheaper to service and be easier to live with in the long term.

BUT The Brab roadies are very cool!! ;)

If you want a Coupe we have 2 in the showroom right now, one std with sports pack the other no where near std!

Digitec re-map, Blindy twin centre exhaust, paddle shift & comfort pack (cruise/trip computer) That one would be quicker than a Brabus!

Kate

Thanks for the advice so far. The shallow part of me means I wouldn't even entertain the idea of any other small convertible for all sorts of reasons involving hairdressers and limp wrists - terrible I know. I blame the fact that with a Smart at least I can convince myself its got some Mercedes Benz DNA and therefore is acceptable.

On a similarly shallow theme, the only Roadster I think I'd go for would be the Brabus, and it would have to be the one without the van rear end and it would have to be black.

This is a bad picture, but it would look something like this.

kymo1.jpg

So reading above I've got a pretty narrow and opinionated requirement :eek: , I guess my question should be is the Brabus Roadster a decent car to do what I want to do with it or not.

I quite fancy a Brabus Roadster myself. I've never driven one - just drooled - but they do look fun!!

A few years ago I considered an Ellise as a daily drive because of the fuel economy!! I decided not to in the end for the reason below...

I think the best option might be to see if you can get an extended test drive so you can try a similar run to your likely commute. Blasting down country lanes in autumnal weekend sunshine is what these things were probably designed for. But close to 100 miles per day on rainy winter weekday mornings might show a different side?

Might still be fun, but less comfortable!!

I drove one when they had a showroom at Canary Wharf, and the salesman mandated that I took the roundabouts in E16 as fast as I could. Very capable around corners, and whilst not a fast car, it *felt* fast - that's what mattered to me.

I don't think SMART engines are designed for high mileages .. there are a few instances of their engines giving up

scotth_uk said:
Very capable around corners, and whilst not a fast car, it *felt* fast - that's what mattered to me.

There's a lot to be said for that. Many years ago I had a lot of fun in a 600cc Fiat 126 - it was quite nippy up to 30 (low geared), and you could take roundabouts etc. pretty much flat out. I actually toyed with the idea of a Brabus Smart roadster before getting my SL, but the gearbox put me off (plus stories of unreliability and failures).

I had a black one, one of the first 80hp RHDs in the country. Here's a pic from the days when no-one knew what it was so I stuck ferrari badges on to [confuse people / make me look like a prat*]

image006bs0.jpg

As you have found they are great fun to drive, having far too much grip for their weight and a low CofG, but I had many gremlins with mine, both electrical and mechanical, so would probably recommend something japanese instead :p

*(delete as appropriate...)

We've had a Roadster for 18 months. Great fun but you are right about the gearchange. Ours sometimes feels like it can't decide which ratio is best but you do learn to overcome this by using the tiptronic. Ours has the flappy paddle gearshift which is a hoot!
I'm not sure about the 90 mile commute though. It will depend upon your route and road type but they are quite noisy on the move, lots of wind noise and tyre roar on the motorway/dual carriageway. We did Cornwall to Manchester a few weeks ago and it was pretty tiring after a while. Also, our stereo doesn't seem that loud to overcome it. I *think* ours is the upgraded one too!?
It's a great fun car though. I really enjoy driving it around the Cornish roads and through the lanes you'd be hard pushed to find a more suitable car. The handling and brakes are very inspiring!

smartbrabus said:
I stuck ferrari badges on to [confuse people / make me look like a prat*]

:D Fantastic!! :cool:

I once saw an MR2 Mk2 with Ferrari badges - it wasn't even one of those F355 look-alikes - just a red MR2 with a Ferrari badge!!

Rose Chap,

I'd say GO FOR IT!!! They're absolutely fantastic little cars and amazing amazing tons of fun :) (language and spellings dont matter it is great fun!)

I had one just prior to my current, all black with F1 paddles and amazing, the gear change on my roady was sooo fast i couldn't imagine what the fuss with slow gear changes was all about! and the turbo whoosh only reminded me of one car... the Prodrive P2 Prototype.

Get one and learn to drive it, I didn't (almost) never have problem with turbo lag coz i knew what i was gonna do in the next 10 secs if i wanted to give it a push, i'd have the rev's up high (only a few 100 not much) than normal and then just push the acc pedal a li'l bit and got the real meat of the turbo delivered straight to the wheels.

what else do ppl say is wrong with the car?

mine never leaked - take it to a jet wash place before you hand your cash over and test it.

longetivity of the engine - anybody who says these fail early is kidding! - or haven't got their facts right - change the oil as per the schedule (or a bit sooner), service them on time and nothing else, really. they just keep going.... my previous forTwo was doing around 600 miles a week, we had it upto 50 something but had no probs with the engine. (our second car was a beemer at that time, so we knew what the difference was but still preferred the forTwo over the BMW for the daily commute)

i did a 300 mile journey (one-way) last weekend with one 10 minute break and i there was no sign of fatigue purely because the seats are so well made that they keep every part of your body very well supported (unlike the seats in my merc now)

servicing is every 7000miles but get yourself known to a good indie and they're not as costly as they seem, i've had prestige badges in the past and mates with mercs and none of the servicing bills on these cars have been, on average, less than what i've been paying for my smarts.

and did I say, they're amazing FUN! absolutely wonderful on roundabouts and twisty roads and the traction control doesn't interfere much so that's another +++'ve

apologies to those who disagree with gear change timings, you have to learn how to drive a smart! ask any smart enthusiast!

Last edited:
Some great opinions and advice here. Thanks to all for the replies!

I'm still highly tempted by the concept of the Brabus Roadster, but I don't really want to get rid of the CLK since its proven to be such a thoroughly satisfying car, therefore I'm going to wait to see what the other half's day to day car needs are like, and to see if they could be answered by the CLK. If they can I'll let her use that and we'll buy the Brabus.

Stay tuned for more info!

RC

PS, the Ferrari badges are a nice touch. ;)

I love the Brabus Roadster . Fantastic car .

Very quick & extremely economical.

I borrowed one from work for the London to Brighton run.

Personally, I think it 's a shame they stopped doing the Roaster.

IMG_0712-vi.jpg

IMG_0697-vi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom