Smart Roadster; any owners out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Whilst being driven back from a day out yesterday (the being driven is a rare event!) we were overtaken by a Smart Roadster.

After a pause in the conversation (presumably because as women have not developed gills they occasionally have to breathe:D) I was asked "what is that?"

I answered and was told "they look cute, I might like one"

Other than a little internet searching I know very little about them, I am aware of the Smart car having issues with oil control rings sticking, one article suggested that the Roadster is less prone to this due to an oil cooler being fitted.

Also, water ingress through the doors leading to SAM problems.

If we look at one then are there any other areas to focus on? I would think the paddle change and electric roof options will be on the wish list.

Many thanks!

Other than a little internet searching I know very little about them, I am aware of the Smart car having issues with oil control rings sticking, one article suggested that the Roadster is less prone to this due to an oil cooler being fitted.

The Roadster is less troubled than the fortwo re sticking rings - the jury is out as to exactly why, the oil cooler being but part of the picture.
However, they too are now hitting mileages where it is becoming an issue and there is a trend of cam chain replacement being required circa 120,000 miles.

Also, water ingress through the doors leading to SAM problems.

Through the doors, mirrors, bulkhead, roof...the list of leak sources is endless and yes, the SAM suffers. £1k minimum to regain control of the wipers (which should have been fitted on the inside of the screen) indicators etc.
Once sorted they are fine. Once sorted their owners keep them. You can guess then what is available on the market....

If you choose to persevere, visit The RoadsterNet and see their buying guide.
McSmarts has one for sale. I don't know much about it other than it is tweaked to Brabus performance levels. Sam (McSmarts proprietor) is decent bloke with a rep to protect. Infinitely safer buying from an indy than from eBay.

Through the doors, mirrors, bulkhead, roof...the list of leak sources is endless and yes, the SAM suffers. £1k minimum to regain control of the wipers (which should have been fitted on the inside of the screen) indicators etc.

Many thanks!

I am assuming that with a little effort and application of appropriate sealants the leak issue can be addressed?

Do you have a feel for the robustness or otherwise of the gearbox as fitted?

The leaks are curable - but if a car is still leaking at this stage in its life the SAM will have been very lucky not to be affected.

Gearboxes are bulletproof. The supporting cast less so. Clutch actuators, position sensors and all the interconnecting wiring can cause problems. Less so than in fortwos and none of it insurmountable though re-teaches need STAR to accomplish.
I think the Roadster suffers the same key synch issue as the fortwo (ensure spare key is present) and also splitting rear ABS reluctor rings which causes the ABS and ESP to intervene when least wanted. Rings are cheap to buy but a sod to fit (mucho suspension dismantling).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom