Smart Top mods4cars SL R231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would be concerned about the wind resistance on the roof structure when opening the roof at "upto 60kph", the boot lid would surely be under a lot of stress at that speed.

Well, just fitted the smart top module, 45 mins with a coffee break. Quite an easy install while following the website instructions.
@Scaramanga , I've sent you a message about the R230 smart top, can you let me know if you're not interested and I'll put it up on eBay later. Cheers.

Mine has just arrived. Will install it tomorrow.!View attachment 86954
The only struggle I had was getting the carpet out, in the end I just removed most of it and bent it up out of the way enough to get the connectors out, bit of a faff but it did the job.

The only struggle I had was getting the carpet out, in the end I just removed most of it and bent it up out of the way enough to get the connectors out, bit of a faff but it did the job.

Thanks - I did my SLK which was a PITA - SL seems a lot easier. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Yes me as well. After removing the screws and two plastic clips I pulled it towards the back of the car and bent it out of the way too,,

I also routed the USB lead so it just pikes out just under the light, however it seems like its not needed unless theres an update as all the settings are available from the in car Audio menu.

Just a quick off topic ask.... if any of you have car play available how do you change the balance/equaliser settings when the phone is connected? All I can do is change volume!! Thx..

Just a quick off topic ask.... if any of you have car play available how do you change the balance/equaliser settings when the phone is connected? All I can do is change volume!! Thx..

As Carplay is effectively a window on the handset, I’m guessing that this can’t be done.
You might be able to change them from the handset itself (settings/music/eq on an iphone)

Yes me as well. After removing the screws and two plastic clips I pulled it towards the back of the car and bent it out of the way too,,

I also routed the USB lead so it just pikes out just under the light, however it seems like its not needed unless theres an update as all the settings are available from the in car Audio menu.

You have to connect the USB to a computer to do a firmware update. However as you have stated one can manage the settings from the car's systems. It is also useful to be able to hook up a laptop if you need any diagnostics done. They had to do something for my SLK SmartTop and were able to do it via the usb cable and my laptop.

Having driven the car around for the last few days I have noticed that the smart top seat memory function now seems to be working as designed.
I’ve set memory 3 so that when I turn off the ignition and pull out the key the seat goes to this memory position which is full back on the seat slight raise and full forward and raised on the steering wheel. Memory 2 is my preferred driving position and is automatically set when I turn on the ignition....brilliant....:)

I am liking that I can two plips of the key lock to close the windows as well as two open plips will open the windows. The car does look good with roof up and all windows open...:cool:

Might as well add a picture just for effect....

6-DF659-C1-CADB-4-B05-8-A62-47-E9116-BD394.jpg

Did your SL not do the seat exit/entry thing before you fitted the Smart Top? My 2004 SL does.

Did your SL not do the seat exit/entry thing before you fitted the Smart Top? My 2004 SL does.

It has easy entry/exit so did/does move the seat and steering wheel but this is only a small amount. The smart top makes it move to the full memory position so all the way back on the seat and fully retracts the steering wheel if that is what is in the memory then without having to press and hold the seat memory button it moves to seat memory 2 when turning on the ignition. A very small thing in the scheme of things but a nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom