Smart Top mods4cars SL R231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mw_C32

Going to get one of these and fit it myself to the SL. Before I do has anyone done this to an SL themselves and do they work as per instructions?

Got caught out a few times in the rain and have to completely stop to put the roof up hopefully this will deal with that....

cheers Mark

Just bought one today, waiting for delivery!

Had mine fitted by Design 911 importers of Mod4cars Smartop, works a treat but make sure software is updated first by connecting to a laptop.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That's where I've bought mine from, will be fitting it myself once it arrives though.

Different car in the E Class convertible, but fitted mine myself in about 20-30 minutes.

Make sure the software is the latest version as there have been some updates recently for some vehicles with new features (Stop / start control has been added for mine for example).

Got the unit in yesterday and after waiting for a clear weather spell it took about 40 minutes to fit it in. Followed the instructions very carefully and found it very easy to do.

5-E7-AA9-CF-BC89-44-C6-8398-3-F2-A7-D423-E78.jpg

You can change all the settings from the Audio settings menu in the car which is great. I did make the usb lead accessible in the boot just in case. Now the roof opens and closes when in range of the key fob as well as when in motion up to 25mph (setting).
I’m trying to get the entry/exit setting on the memory seats to work but that isn’t quite there yet so I’m wondering if that is due to the MB easy exit setting so will have a play with that...

Overall for £350 I think it’s a bit pricey so will see if it’s worth it over time.

Got the unit in yesterday and after waiting for a clear weather spell it took about 40 minutes to fit it in. Followed the instructions very carefully and found it very easy to do.

You can change all the settings from the Audio settings menu in the car which is great. I did make the usb lead accessible in the boot just in case. Now the roof opens and closes when in range of the key fob as well as when in motion up to 25mph (setting).
I’m trying to get the entry/exit setting on the memory seats to work but that isn’t quite there yet so I’m wondering if that is due to the MB easy exit setting so will have a play with that...

Overall for £350 I think it’s a bit pricey so will see if it’s worth it over time.
I had one in my SLK which (although an easy job) was quite a lot or work to fit (behind the drivers seat in the partition to the boot) - been waiting to see it in a R231 and as you say it is so easy - I think I'll order mine this weekend.

Presumably you have the facelift model with the exhaust module. The wiring & plug loom looks more complex than I recall for my SLK (R172) which probably explains the added cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a mail saying they're out of stock so got to wait till they have some now before I can get mine

You may be correct about the MB entry/exit as the 1 touch seat button works only on passenger seat on mine. The Eco stop/start disengagement makes it worth the money though [emoji38]

I've had a mail saying they're out of stock so got to wait till they have some now before I can get mine

I bought mine from eBay CKS performance who don’t seem to have had a good review on these forums. However buying through eBay and PayPal does offer some protection plus free next day delivery which is how I got mine so quickly.

They have now put the price up slightly and if you buy today as in now you can use this code for 10% off your purchase PRICEWIN

Smart top Smarttop Mercedes R231 SL Models from 2012 ONWARDS | eBay

I’m not sure they have any stock but you should still get the discount....in fact anyone reading this can use the code for discount on any eBay purchase today only. (14th June 2019)

Cheers Mark.

Already ordered and paid through design 911, but thanks for the heads up.

Fitted one on my Volvo C70, why oh why werent the features OEM, as it’s made the car so much more user-friendly.

Unlike mw_C32 above, though, while I’ve set mine to be able to open up to 10mph, I’ve no intention of trying it, as there are so many sensors etc in the roof mechanism, I don’t want to risk damage. After all, it was designed to be operated only when stationary.

Fitted one on my Volvo C70, why oh why werent the features OEM, as it’s made the car so much more user-friendly.

Unlike mw_C32 above, though, while I’ve set mine to be able to open up to 10mph, I’ve no intention of trying it, as there are so many sensors etc in the roof mechanism, I don’t want to risk damage. After all, it was designed to be operated only when stationary.
If it puts your mind at rest current R231 Mercedes allow the roof to be operated whilst moving slowly and I have used mine at around 10 mph on level surfaces many times without issue (normally approaching traffic lights etc).

It is great for scaring tail gaiters, seems to make them drop right back for some reason (probably scared something will fly out your boot at them)!

If it puts your mind at rest current R231 Mercedes allow the roof to be operated whilst moving slowly and I have used mine at around 10 mph on level surfaces many times without issue (normally approaching traffic lights etc).

Deleted - misread above post....

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a safety issue - they want you to be right at the car - imagine a little hand or arm getting caught in the mechanism........

MB (for my car) state that the roof can be opened / closed upto 25mph.

I bought mine from eBay CKS performance who don’t seem to have had a good review on these forums. However buying through eBay and PayPal does offer some protection plus free next day delivery which is how I got mine so quickly.

They have now put the price up slightly and if you buy today as in now you can use this code for 10% off your purchase PRICEWIN

Smart top Smarttop Mercedes R231 SL Models from 2012 ONWARDS | eBay

I’m not sure they have any stock but you should still get the discount....in fact anyone reading this can use the code for discount on any eBay purchase today only. (14th June 2019)

Cheers Mark.

Just ordered mine....& got the 10% thanks. Delivery Tuesday (apparently 2 in stock).

MB (for my car) state that the roof can be opened / closed upto 25mph.

I think the 25 mph is for the fabric roof which is lighter than the metal one on the 231 :(

Am I the only person that thinks Smart Top is a lot of money for what it does? I think on my R230 it only adds remote lowering and raising of the windows and roof along with operating the roof when in motion. Does the device add any other functionality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom